Announcing WinAVR 20030913
WinAVR (pronounced "whenever") is a suite of executable, open source
software development tools for the Atmel AVR series of RISC
microprocessors hosted on the Windows platform. It includes the
GNU GCC compiler for C and C++.
WinAVR can be found at <http://sourceforge.net/projects/winavr/>
Below is just a sample of what's new.
- This is the first time that all the major open source AVR projects are
built for Windows and are included!
- The README.txt file has been extensively rewritten and added on.
- GCC 3.3.1:
- This is a released version!
- "Combine" patch is included. This fixes a bug in GCC.
- GNU Binutils 2.14:
- Patch to provide ELF to COFF and Extended COFF conversions!
- avr-libc 0.99.90.20030829:
- This is a pre-release of an upcomping 1.0 release.
- New string functions: strlcpy (optimized), strlcpy_P, strlcat (optimized),
strlcat_P, strncat_P, strsep, and strtok_r. Thanks to Reiner Patommel.
- New avr/pgmspace.h API: pgm_read_byte(), pgm_read_word(),
pgm_read_byte_near(), pgm_read_word_near(), pgm_read_byte_far(),
- avr/interrupt.h: EMPTY_INTERRUPT() added. Thanks to Artur Lipowski.
- avrdude 4.2.0:
- New switch that lets you program everything including fuses all in
one line! It also includes an automatic erase.
- New progress reporting.
- Fixed Windows verification timing. Thanks to Alex Shepherd!
- Add support for displaying and setting the various STK500 operational
parameters (Vtarget, Varef, Master clock).
- Added picoweb programmer and sp12 programmer. Thanks to Rune Christensen
and Larry Barello!
- uisp is now included!
- GNU Debugger (GDB) 5.3.91:
- This is a pre-release of the upcomping 6.0.
- Insight is now included! This is GDB with a GUI!
- An updated AVaRICE is included.
- SimulAVR is now included!
- Programmers Notepad, 126.96.36.199:
- Click on errors and goto file / line.
- Global output pane.
- SRecord 1.16.D002
- Added TkInfo to view Info documentation in a GUI.
- Corrected and expanded sample makefile.
- Fixed issues with installer.
- Uses the correct registry key type when updating the PATH.
- Adding WinAVR directories to the PATH is now optional.
For more information see the WinAVR Home page at