Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

icon<owned>

Help
stevejay
2005-06-01
2013-04-15
  • stevejay
    stevejay
    2005-06-01

Hi,

I'm trying to make use of icon<owned> to get and hold an icon that I make use of in a status bar.  I've used a non-Win32GUI C++ wrapper class for the purpose, and it works a treat.  But I would like to be able to use the equivalent Win32GUI facility, just so that I know that I can :-)

Because I wanted a multi-pane status bar, I derived my own class from status_bar, so that I could keep all the details of my status bar contained in that class.  For storing an icon that I want to display on it, I declare a class member:

icon <shared> m_icon;

In the class contructor, in the initialiser list, I say:

m_icon (res_id::icon_::statusbar_icon1)

That seems to work, cos if i then check its ICONINFO, the value of the fIcon member is True.

In the on_full_create function, I then want to pass the icon as the second parameter of the pane_icon() function for the status_bar class.  That function has the prototype of:

void pane_icon (  int  pane_idx, HICON h)

I would think that I would use the raw_handle() function on my m_icon member variable, but it's not working:

self->pane_icon( 0, self->m_temp_icon.raw_handle());     
    // not working!

Any insight would be a treat!  ;-)

Bye,
    Steve

• Steven Weiss
      Steven Weiss
      2005-06-01

hi,
      did you check that raw_handle() doesn't return NULL?

• stevejay
      stevejay
      2005-06-01

hi steven,

Sorry, I should have added that to my question: yes I did; the return from raw_handle() is not NULL.  I take it from your question that raw_handle() is _in theory_ the correct function to use for the purpose?

Bye,
      Steve

• Steven Weiss
        Steven Weiss
        2005-06-01

yes, the raw_handle()-functions return the plain old window handles (HBITMAP, HICON and so on)

hmm, i haven't used status bars with win32gui yet. maybe john will help you. or you can set a breakpoint and trace into the function. that's the way i first examine the exact location where a problem occurs.

you can also ensure that the icon is really ok - display it or load an icon with LoadImage() from your resources and pass this icon to pane_icon() so you can be sure that the problem is in pane_icon()

• stevejay
      stevejay
      2005-06-01

Hi again,

Grrrrr!  I know what's going wrong!  I aimed to display a 16 pixel by 16 pixel icon on the status bar, so the icon resource that I loaded by creating the icon<owned> object only contains a 16 by 16 icon.  Creating a 32 pixel by 32 pixel icon in that set as well results in that new larger icon being displayed on the status bar.  

Now, by using the Win32 API ::LoadImage() function, I can specify the height and width, to load a particular size of icon from an icon set.  For my own information, does Win32GUI offer this facility for the icon class?

Bye,
      Steve

• John Torjo
        John Torjo
        2005-06-02

Hi Steve,

Thanks for pointing it out. I just included this constructors in the win32gui (for icon).

Will be available in next version.

Best,
        John

• Steven Weiss
      Steven Weiss
      2005-06-01

you can pass the HICON to the c'tor -> thus you can pass the result of LoadImage() to it

• stevejay
      stevejay
      2005-06-01

Hi again,

Right - gotcha :-)

Bye,
      Steve

• John Torjo
      John Torjo
      2005-06-02

Hi Steve,

Will look into it.
      As a side note, you can use:

// no need for the .raw_handle()
      self->pane_icon( 0, self->m_temp_icon); 

Best,
      John

• stevejay
        stevejay
        2005-06-02

Hi John,

Okay, as suggested, I tried not using the raw_handle() but I got the following compiler error message:

c:\My C++ Lib\Builds\Win32GUI problems builds\win32gui_problems_statusbar5\my_status_bar.cpp(45) : error C2664: 'void win32::gui::status_bar::pane_icon(int,HICON)' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'win32::gui::icon<r_type>' to 'HICON'
                with
                [
                    r_type=owned
                ]
                No user-defined-conversion operator available that can perform this conversion, or the operator cannot be called

Bye,
        Steve

• John Torjo
          John Torjo
          2005-06-07

Sorry Steve, you're right. You can't convert directly to HICON.

Basically, HICON and icon<owned> can be converted to icon<shared>.

Best,
          John