Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Borderlands 2 support is not coming soon

matt911
2012-09-30
2013-05-08
  • matt911
    matt911
    2012-09-30

Ok, I guess I have not been clear enough that I have no intention to add support for Borderlands 2 to WillowTree# right now or in the immediate future.  None.  People keep asking so I hope this will spell it out.

The reasons for this are both technical and ethical.  Technically I don't even have the information needed to add Borderlands 2 support yet, but even if I knew everything there was to know about Borderlands 2 tomorrow I still wouldn't add it to WillowTree# because I have the concern that it will lead to widespread cheating in multiplayer and degrade the online play.  Ultimately people will always find ways to cheat anyway, so I have no permanent bias against either making another savegame editor or incorporating Borderlands 2 into WillowTree#, but I won't be the first to open Pandora's box.  It is unlikely that I will release anything related to Borderlands 2 savegame editing or conversion either within the project or outside it until the game has been out at least a month.

• Mysteryman2000
    Mysteryman2000
    2012-10-09

I just want to be the first to give a thumbs up, I currently play with friends and we seem to do fine without one right now.  Don't rush it I like masterpieces more anyways.

• Robert Comeaux
    Robert Comeaux
    2012-10-23

I believe that you need to play the game through atleast 1-3 times before doning anything like using an editor. So I agree to an extent. But after that editors can add new life to a game where you can have renewed fun. I used WillowTree# for the first one after I hit max level with 2 classes. But I used it on the the other 2 classes that I didnt think I would like and it made them more fun to play because of it. And lastly I dont think we will see a editor out there unless you make it. At least for the PS3. Everyone says the encryption is not hackable. But you did it once so if the PS3 gets a editor I believe you are the only persone that has the ablity to do so.

• matt911
    matt911
    2012-10-23

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but neither I nor the others that worked on WillowTree# hacked the encryption on the PS3.  There was *no encryption* on the PS3 savegames in the original Borderlands, so there was nothing that needed to be hacked.

From what I've read online, it seems that PS3 supports a version of AES encryption that can encrypt files and the key needed to decrypt it is specific to your machine and can't be obtained without actually hacking your PS3 with a third-party hardware dongle exploit that can allow you to run homebrew applications.  This is likely how the Borderlands 2 savegame file is protected (unlike the Borderlands savegame which did not enable this encryption), so I don't know if it is even possible to decrypt the file with just the data on your memory stick.  I don't own either a PS3 console, a hardware dongle to exploit the PS3, or the Borderlands 2 game for the PS3 so the chance of me developing a way to decrypt that data is exceedingly small.

Likely in order to decrypt the PS3 savegame files every console would need to have a hacking dongle plugged into it and run third-party software to extract the decryption keys and copy them to the PC.  The PC would then need a program that can encrypt and decrypt using the PS3 algorithm using a key file with the stored keys.  If this is actually the case, then the general public will not be able to edit the Borderlands PS3 savegames even in the best case scenario where all the algorithms are known.  Those who have the hardware and knowledge of how to extract those encryption keys from the PS3 probably could already use the same program that is used to edit the PC savegames.

I'm not actively working on any editor for Borderlands 2 for any platform and even if I do in the future it probably will only work on Xbox 360 and PC since those are the only platforms I know how to unpack the data on.  I have no magic bullet for the PS3.  You'll find that there are quite a few games on PS3 with no editor available because of the built in file encryption capabilities available on the PS3 if the publishers choose to use them.

• Robert Comeaux
    Robert Comeaux
    2012-10-25

Well I can say I'm not sure if thy did or did not use the encryption on Borderlands 2. the files on the PS3 and when i copy them to a thumb drive look the same. And the experimental version of Willowtree trys to open it but has a problem copying to clipboard and closes when I attemp to open it.

• matt911
    matt911
    2012-10-25

I don't have a PS3, but I can say that all the savegames I've downloaded from the internet that were supposedly Borderlands 2 savegames (admittedly a small number) appeared to be encrypted in a different way from the PS3 ones.  Due to the way that LZO encryption works the first characters are much less "encoded" than later characters in the stream because it uses a look-back algorithm for compression.  This means that in PC savegames you can usually see the plain-text letters WSG around 31 bytes into the savegame file even though that part of the file is actually compressed.  The PS3 saves that I found searching on the net did not have that, so I assume they have something other than LZO compression forming the outermost encoding layer.  If your PS3 savegames do have the letters WSG near the start somewhere then it might be possible to make a Borderlands 2 editor open them.  The ones I was able to obtain could have been fakes.

• matt911
    matt911
    2012-10-25

The experimental revisions of WillowTree# do not work with Borderlands 2.  WillowTree# does not support Borderlands 2 at all.  The experimental version contains support for better item naming, bug fixes for several nasty bugs in WillowTree# 2.2.1.102, a revamp of the graphical engine of the program to remove dependence on DevComponent's commercial Dot Net Bar library, Sorting and multi-selection in menus, importing, exporting and merging of quests and fast travel locations, the ability to repair some broken savegames, the ability to strip raw data to allow conversion of Steam savegames to Xbox 360 or PS3, and ability to manipulate the items in Mad Moxxi's vault.  These are all features for the original Borderlands.  The program has no capabilities related to Borderlands 2 at all.  It can't even open the savegames.  It should always crash with an exception and say something about 'Not a WSG' if you try to open a B2 save.