From: Peter Schwanemann <P<eter@dr...> - 2009-09-27 18:31:07
The Widelands Development Team is proud to announce the immediate
availability of Build14 of Widelands. Widelands is a free,
cross-platform strategy game in which players control the fate of a
small tribe that can grow into a big empire, in a style of play that is
unique in the open source world. Please visit our homepage,
http://www.widelands.org/ , to learn more.
Some of the highlights of Build14 are:
* an user interface to set up target quantities for all wares, to
allow a better regulation of your tribe's economy.
* basic internet gaming with lobby and chat (!!alpha state!!).
* improved userinterface (now supporting nearly all resolutions).
* full tree cycle (trees are now seeding, growing and dieing
* improved game setup (different start types and the possibility to
switch start positions)..
* a basic autogeneration tool for random maps.
* a basic message system (currently only showing new warehouses and
* an improved computer player (still not good enough to be called
"AI" ;) ).
* some new sounds.
* some new songs.
* some new maps including a completely new scenario mission.
* many new graphics and animations.
As usual, there have been many more improvements to the usability and
performance, as well as numerous gameplay improvements and bugfixes.
Widelands uses SDL as graphics and input library and is currently
available for Linux/x86, Windows (32-bit) and in source code. Both
binary and source packages are available from
We still search for a Mac user, who can provide us with a MacOSX *.dmg
file of Build14. If you would like to help out, please write on our
Simply download the binary package for your operating system and run the
widelands executable! If your operating system is not supported,
download a source package and try to compile it for yourself. See the
homepage for the libraries you need to have installed.
If you like what you see, please visit our homepage,
http://www.widelands.org/ You may also want to check the forums and our
IRC channel, #widelands on Freenode, to arrange multiplayer games with
We especially welcome every helping hand, even if you just want to
contribute by helping us find bugs. Also translators for all languages
are always needed. If you want to get even more involved in the further
development of Widelands, you can subscribe to
http://lists.sourceforge.net/mailman/listinfo/widelands-public to keep
up with development on a daily basis.