WARN -Your application is giving only an IP address

• adrelanos
    adrelanos
    2013-05-11

[WARN] Your application (using socks5 to port 443 also on port 33033) is giving Tor only an IP address. Applications that do DNS resolve ................................................

I know this is a Tor error, I though Whonix took care of these things?

You thought correctly, it does.

FYI: This means that DNS got resolved by Tor's DnsPort or that an application uses hardcoded IPs.

Do applications need to manaually be adjusted?

Define need.

Q: Do applications need to manually be adjusted to ensure everything is send through Tor?

A: No.

Q: Do applications need to manually be adjusted to ensure [Stream Isolation].

A: Self installed applications, yes.

If so can you please provide best practice configuration setting for popular applications as I have seen SocksPort and TransPort in your documentation but not sure how they affect the application

They don't affect the application, it just affects they way they are routed through Tor, if they get send through their own circuit (SocksPort) or TransPort.

can you please provide best practice configuration setting for popular applications

If I could, I wouldn't need to maintain Whonix. That's the very reason Whonix was created: a security net for applications where are no instructions or where is doubt, that these instructions are 100% bulletproof.

For many tasks, there is Whonix Documentation:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/whonix/wiki/Documentation/

And for a few other applications, there is the TorifyHOWTO:
    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorifyHOWTO

Will SocksPorts create a direct connection from the Workstation to the external server creating a tunnel, thus potentially giving away my routers IP?

No. SocksPort connections are ideal.

Will TransPort pass the data to the gateway then through Tor, then from Tors exit node to the server?

Yes, everything goes through Tor.