Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

500 Internal Server Error

Juan
2011-01-11
2013-01-14
  • Juan
    Juan
    2011-01-11

Hi,
    can someone help me with this issue. I have installed webcalendar 1.2.0 on our organization site. Now I am the only one that can log in as the administrator. When collegues that I have given contributor priviledges log in they receive an
    "Internal Server Error
    We're sorry for the inconvenience, but there has been an internal server error. Please click on the back button to return to the former page. "
    and in the tab ther is "500Internal Server Error"

I am not a tecchy and I have been tryin to work with my hosting provider they decline to help arguing that it was a third party application.

What do I need to do to resolve this issue.

Thanks

• srmorton
    srmorton
    2011-01-11

Need a little more info about your install of webcalendar.

1. Are you letting the database handle the login to Webcalendar or did you choose the Apache server? If unsure look in your settings.php file under the includes folder.
    2. Are you using the dbcache variable setting in you settings.php file and a cache folder?
    3. Did you set the default calendar view for your admin users?

There are several reasons that I can see as to why you would recieve a 500 error and it really depends on you server settings. Webcalendar only has one setting that may effect this, but if you are able to access the calendar then it sounds like the other users have not been defined for some reason or they really have not been given the proper priviledges.

One thing you can check to see if they are even making it to Webcalendar is to look under the webcalendar reports and look at the logs. Just login as the Webclendar Admin and review the logs.

If it is a server side and you have access to your website error logs take a look at them, but I suspect that all you may see there is the 500 error.

Also, please describe how your user login? By that I mean to you use the Webcaledar Login  or some other means.

Steve

• Juan
    Juan
    2011-01-12

Thanks Steve for answering my help request.

Here are the answers to the best of my abilities

1. Are you letting the database handle the login to Webcalendar or did you choose the Apache server? If unsure look in your settings.php file under the includes folder.

A. I am using the database handle to login

2. Are you using the dbcache variable setting in you settings.php file and a cache folder?

A. I do not see any db cache variable in the setting.php file and there is no cache folder either.

3. Did you set the default calendar view for your admin users?

A. Yes admin users have default calendar view

On the webcalendar log which one should I check, there is 3 of them

On the web log I can this “mod_mime_magic: can't read” keep coming up

And last I log in by getting to the webpage of the calendar and log in from there.

Pleas understand that I am very illiterate when it comes to servers and code.

Thanks

• srmorton
    srmorton
    2011-01-12

That's ok we all have to start somewhere.

I'll take a look at the mode_mime_magic item and will post later on it.

Please bare with me as I'm attempting to understand how you created the users of you calendar.

Next question(s):

1. when you created the users I assume you logged in as the Admin to your calendar and then chose User Manager under Settings. There you clicked on the Add New User. NOTE: it is not a button it is a hyperlink, but you may not reconize it as one as it does not show up as a traditional html hyperlink. This is standard throughout webcalendar.

2. Once you recieved the dialog for a new user - you then filed out all fields.

3. Question: did you set them as Admin Yes or Admin No?

4. Question: do all your users show up in the list on this page? If they do then they should be there if not then they were not created. Next an Admin user is denoted with an astroph at the end of their name in this list.

Steve

• Robin
    Robin
    2011-01-15

I installed WebCalendar v 1.2.3 today, set up the public calendar, posted some events and left for a while.  Now I get the 500 internal server error - but I'm the administrator (and only user) and now I can't log into WebCalendar.  I'm not a techie by any means and am trying to set up a web site thru iPage with a public calendar (which will be the topic of another inquiry 'cuz your WebCalendar FAQ are as clear as mud to me).
    How do I get into my WebCalendar???

• srmorton
    srmorton
    2011-01-15

Where exactly are you recieving the 500 error. That is are you able to see the login page? Is it after you enter you user name and password and click the submit button?

Steve

• Robin
    Robin
    2011-01-15

I get the 500 internal server error when I try to log in from the iPage Control Panel (Install Central, My Apps tab).  The WebCalendar app is listed, showing  our 'location' (web site name), with log-in and manage as choices.  Manage simply shows the "instance information" (v1.2.3, db name, etc), none of which mean ANYTHING to me.  All I know is I started setting up a calendar/schedule and now it's inaccessible as follows:

The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
    The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log.

HELP!!!!

• srmorton
    srmorton
    2011-01-15

I’m not familiar with iPage so I’m not going to be much help with it, but it sounds like iPage has lost the link to the webcalendar login page. Can you access it via the web which is the normal way of doing it? You would open your browser and type in

www.YOURDOMAIN.COM/calendar/login.php

This should bring up the login page.

Steve

• Robin
    Robin
    2011-01-15

Will that be possible if I haven't published our web page yet?

• Robin
    Robin
    2011-01-16

I get the login page but cannot successfully login (500 internal server error displays).  iPage has reset/cleared everything today and has advised I reinstall WebCalendar.  I don't like multiple versions/installations cluttering up things so I uninstalled the existing first.  Tho I received a 'successful uninstall', the message included the caveat that there may be files that need to be manually removed.  What files and where are they?
    Also, if I ever get this server error resolved, how/what do I do to make this Calendar part of my non-profit's web page?

• Robin
    Robin
    2011-01-17

I am now getting a new error message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: date_default_timezone_set() in /hermes/bosweb/web083/b831/ipg.rnoury/schedules/includes/functions.php on line 3815

What does this mean?

• srmorton
    srmorton
    2011-01-18

moury,

Ok, I know what this one is. You must be running PHP version 5.0 or less. In Webcalendar version 1.2.3 there were three small errors introduced. The date_default_timezone_set() function is a php version 5.1 or higher version function and will cause errors in PHP 5.0 or 4.x.

Two of these errors are in the installation wizard scripts and you will need to comment out the following:
    1. in the

install/index.php

line number 737 you will need comment out this line by placeing the two //'s in front of it as follows

// date_default_timezone_set ( "America/New_York");

2. next in

js_cacher.php

under the webcalendar root line number 32 you will need to comment out this line by placeing the two //'s in front of it as follows

// date_default_timezone_set ( "America/New_York");

3. next in

includes/functions.php

line number 3815 you will need to comment out this line by placeing the two //'s in front of it as follows

//date_default_timezone_set ( $GLOBALS['SERVER_TIMEZONE'] );

Item three is the one that is creating the error above items 1 and 2 only effect the installation wizard. Version 1.2.1 of Webcaledar does not have these three small errors, but it also does not have the fix for the category error which was corrected in version 1.2.3.

When you correct these error be sure to use an html editor or something like MS notepad editor. These are pure text editors and will not add those hidden charactures which will cause php to error out.

Steve

• Robin
    Robin
    2011-01-18

iPage has (finally) got me up and running for Web Calendar.  How do I post/link it to my organization's web page so visiters can see the public calendar?

• srmorton
    srmorton
    2011-01-18

Moury,

You will have to ask iPage host or they should have a user's manual. That is really not a Webcalendar issue.

Steve