#428 Fixed us-ascii charset in meta tag in e-mail frame

1.090
closed-fixed
nobody
None
5
2014-07-03
2014-07-02
Ludvik Tesar
No

I am using Czech language throughout the whole Webmin and usermin. It works well everywhere except for usermin module for e-mail. I see co0mpletely broken non-ascii characters in both e-mail subject lines and usermin buttons with czech text. It looks like if it did not understand Unicode UTF-8 characters, interpreting them like if it was ISO-8859-1. This bug is there since I have started using Usermin (it may be last 20 versions). Recently, I was investigating the HTML code and indeed, just this frame has meta tag : <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; Charset=us-ascii">. I think this might explain this behaviour. Otherwise this content-type meta tag is missing, so the browser is not confused by it and interprets UTF-8 correctly. It seems to be only this particular frame, although, there might be frames without any UTF-8 characters and I would not notice misbehaviour there. I was investigating through the code in order to remove this meta-tag and test usermin without it, but I had no success. (if you can point me, I can try to remove it and test it)

Discussion

  • Ludvik Tesar
    Ludvik Tesar
    2014-07-02

    I did not know, I have to escape the meta tag. This is the meta tag I found in the frame head : <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; Charset=us-ascii">

    Also, I forgot to add my OS and browser. Server OS where my Usermin currently runs is Ubuntu 13.04. The same behaviour was at Ubuntu since 12.04. As for browsers, in fact this affects all browsers where I tried this. Specifically: Chrome and Firefox under Ubuntu or SuSE Linux or Windows XP or 7, then in MSIE in Windows. All versions of Chrome and Firefox are affected, from cca last 2 years.

     
    Last edit: Ludvik Tesar 2014-07-02
  • Jamie Cameron
    Jamie Cameron
    2014-07-02

    What language do you have selected in Usermin? Make sure it is "Czech (UTF-8)" so that email can be properly converted to the right character set.

     
    • Ludvik Tesar
      Ludvik Tesar
      2014-07-02

      It is Czech (CZ.UTF-8). See the screenshot for what I see.

       
      Attachments
  • Jamie Cameron
    Jamie Cameron
    2014-07-03

    Are you running the latest version of Usermin there? It should dramatically improve the handling of this situation by converting all emails to UTF-8 for display.

     
  • Ludvik Tesar
    Ludvik Tesar
    2014-07-03

    In fact I was not and this solved it. I had Usermin 1.550. I am regularly upgrading webmin whenever possible, but I did not realize, that Usermin needs to be upgraded separately. Last time, I have probably upgraded it several months ago. Sorry for reporting an old error that is already fixed. Now all the characters are ok. It is fantastic. Thanks.

     
  • Jamie Cameron
    Jamie Cameron
    2014-07-03

    • status: open --> closed-fixed
     
  • Jamie Cameron
    Jamie Cameron
    2014-07-03

    Ok, glad this works now!