Virtualmin not detecting running MySQL

Virtualmin
Jim Bowery
2010-05-06
2013-05-21
  • Jim Bowery
    Jim Bowery
    2010-05-06

When I click on Servers -> Virtualmin Virtual Servers (GPL) -> Re-check and refresh configuration

I get:

"Webalizer does not appear to be installed on your system, or has not yet been set up properly in Webmin's Webalizer Logfile Analysis module. If your system does not use Webalizer, it should be disabled in Virtualmin's module configuration page."

When I click on Servers -> Virtualmin Virtual Servers (GPL)  -> Features and Plugins -> Webalizer reporting -> Save

I get:

"Failed to save enabled features : MySQL does not appear to be installed and running on your system, or has not yet been set up properly in Webmin's MySQL Database module. If your system does not use MySQL, it should be disabled in Virtualmin's module configuration page."

When I click on Servers -> MySQL Database Server

I get the MySQL page with no apparent problems - allowing me to browser the databases.

What gives?

• Jim Bowery
    Jim Bowery
    2010-05-07

So I tried running webmin under perl -d, but it barfed because it forked and wanted something like an xterm rather than a gnome terminal - moreover it wanted the xterm on its system rather than my desktop being used to access its system.

Soooooo…. I tried to install gnome-session on that system so I could run a remote xterm under which to run the perl -d so it could fork off additional xterms for the different processes.  But then apt-get decided to trash the entire dpkg database leaving things in a state where no package operations could run and aptitude bombs off with "Ouch!  Got SIGABRT, dying..".

Now things are _really_ hosed.

• Jim Bowery
    Jim Bowery
    2010-05-07

I corrected the dpkg system (ran an audit command piped to a perl script that constructed an apt-get remove to get rid of all the partially configured files and things are apparently back to normal).

So now I'm back to this when I click on Servers -> Virtualmin…

"MySQL cannot be enabled, as it is not installed on your system"

But, of course, that is a lie.

• Jim Bowery
    Jim Bowery
    2010-05-07

Setting the configuration of webmin's "nofork" parameter to "1" does not prevent the failure of the debugger due to forking.

• Anonymous
    2012-07-30

Also I just noticed this bug cased on CentOS 6.3 with MySQL 5.5.25.
    Virtualmin shows MySQL Database Server "Down" even after "Start MySQL". Webmin shows "MySQL is not running on your system - database list could not be retrieved." even after "Start MySQL Server".

# service mysqld status
       mysqld (pid 3127) is running…