Virtualmin
slam dunk
2009-06-14
2013-05-21
  • slam dunk
    slam dunk
    2009-06-14

Hi,

I'm getting the following error but the bind server 30:9.3.4-10.P1.el5 is already install. How to get over this error:

The BIND DNS server version 8 or 9 does not appear to be installed on your system, or has not yet been set up properly in Webmin's BIND DNS Server module.

• Joe Cooper
      Joe Cooper
      2009-06-14

How did you install Webmin?  I'm guessing Webmin has incorrectly guessed your OS for some reason.

Browse to Servers>BIND DNS Server

What do you see?

• slam dunk
        slam dunk
        2009-06-14

I'm using CentOS 5.3. I Installed with wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin-1.480-1.noarch.rpm

If I browse to servers > Bind DNS Server

I don't see Bind DNS Server installed in the list. But BIND server is installed when I try to reinstalle unsing yum install bind.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

• Joe Cooper
          Joe Cooper
          2009-06-14

Click "Refresh available modules".  If you installed BIND after Webmin, Webmin wouldn't have detected it.

• slam dunk
            slam dunk
            2009-06-15

Bind was installed by DirectAdmin which I got with the VPS. I installed Webmin after that.

I've refreshed modules but still no luck. Do I uninstall webmin and reinstall?

Thanks!

• Joe Cooper
              Joe Cooper
              2009-06-15

"Bind was installed by DirectAdmin which I got with the VPS. I installed Webmin after that. "

Well there's a pretty hugely important piece of information that you neglected to mention before.  ;-)

Are you sure that BIND package is an OS standard package?  Webmin looks for BIND in a well-specified location that comes from the default configuration found in the OS standard package.  If the package is a non-standard one, and it puts things in weird places, Webmin won't have any idea where to look for them.

If it's not a the standard package provided by CentOS/RHEL, I would recommend uninstalling BIND and then installing it from the OS standard repository, so Webmin knows where to find it, and so you're not stuck with an oddball package that can't be safely updated from standard sources.

• Joe Cooper
      Joe Cooper
      2009-06-15

Hmmm...a quick search on that version number seems to indicate it is a standard package.  So, I guess DirectAdmin moved some things around?  I don't know.

• Joe Cooper
      Joe Cooper
      2009-06-15

But, reinstalling from scratch without having DirectAdmin involved is still probably the quickest way to get your system back to normal.

• Joe Cooper
      Joe Cooper
      2009-06-15

Or starting over with a fresh OS install.  It's pretty hard to know what all changes would have happened during a control panel install.  Even the Virtualmin install process (which tries very hard to stick with standard everything) still makes a few changes that might confuse other control panels, were you to decide to switch (as if that would ever happen!).  ;-)

Which brings up the fact that the easiest way to get a Virtualmin system is to start from scratch and follow the instructions found here:

http://www.virtualmin.com/download

Installing all of the packages and configuring them manually is a time-consuming PITA.