Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Having trouble with usermin logins

Usermin
2008-11-25
2013-05-21
  • Mike Ingram
    Mike Ingram
    2008-11-25

For any user except root, I get the following error on attempted login. 

Failed to create /home/admin/vhosts/mydomain/htdocs/users/user01/.usermin : Permission denied

This is a newly built server, and as near as I can tell nothing is different than with prior iinstallations. 

I am attempting to use QMail for the first time - but not sure how that could be involved here.

• Mike Ingram
      Mike Ingram
      2008-11-25

Actually - I now appear to be logging in to Usermin - but when I click on any action, such as Read Mail, then I get the error mentioned above.

• Shanta
        Shanta
        2008-11-25

I have been having similar problems with Usermin.

It seems to be related to the way Webmin creates mail accounts. Webmin/Usermin likes to have a simple username.domain. If you try to make it easier for your clients with a username@domain Usermin login ok but mail may not work. complains about rights  in the dir.

Stick to the username.domain format and you should be ok.

Hope that helps

Shanta

• samhill5215
    samhill5215
    2011-04-01

I was having the same problem with 1.470. This is how I solved it. The owner: group for the user folders were set to id numbers not corresponding to to the users'. Once I set them correctly the problem went away. Another thing: if the user is created with webmin the ower: group is set correctly and usermin will work correctly.