Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

setup Proftpd ! error !

Webmin
alex srt
2014-05-22
2014-06-18
  • alex srt
    alex srt
    2014-05-22

Hi,

i installed succeffuly proftpd (he following modules have been successfully installed and added to your access control list :
    ProFTPD Server in /usr/libexec/webmin-1.690/proftpd (1420 kB) under category Servers)

but when i launch it i got: Maybe it is not installed, or your module configuration is incorrect

so i changed the path on module configuration to the path displayed /usr/libexec/webmin-1.690/proftpd
    but i got error...Output from the command /usr/libexec/webmin-1.690/proftpd -v was :

please help :(

• alex srt
    alex srt
    2014-05-24

please help :(

edit. I bought my vps for 6 days and I'm still stuck

Last edit: alex srt 2014-05-27
  • alex srt
    alex srt
    2014-06-09

worst community! ever

• d elleray
    d elleray
    2014-06-09

hi
    i think that's a library
    my centos has
    path to config file : /etc/proftpd.conf
    path to executables : /usr/sbin/proftpd

in the future go to system > software and search for say proftpd
    then list files and look for the executable location..

d.

• Fred Grayson
    Fred Grayson
    2014-06-13

The mistake you may be making is this. A Webmin module allows Webmin to control another piece of software. But it is not the software itself.

In order for Webmin to control Proftpd, two things have to be in place. One is the Proftpd Webmin Module must be installed into Webmin. The other is that the Proftpd Server software program has to be installed into your operating system. IS IT?

• d elleray
    d elleray
    2014-06-13

fred
    according to the thread above Alex HAS installed the proftpd software...
    d.

• Fred Grayson
    Fred Grayson
    2014-06-13

d elleray

What makes you say that?

ProFTPD Server in /usr/libexec/webmin-1.690/proftpd (1420 kB) under category Servers)

is a Webmin module, not the actual ProFTPD Server software.

Last edit: Fred Grayson 2014-06-13
  • d elleray
    d elleray
    2014-06-13

fred

but if you follow the thread carefully you would notice that alex had a successful software installation, just that the module config may have not been correct....

Maybe 'worst community! ever' might be relevantt and such questioned answers won't be given in the future....
    d.

• Fred Grayson
    Fred Grayson
    2014-06-13

I don't see anything in this thread that mentions a ProFTPD Server software installation. All I see is ProFTPD Server in /usr/libexec/webmin-1.690/proftpd (1420 kB) under category Servers) - and this is a Webmin module, not the software program.

Exactly what makes you say that the Server software itself is installed? Show me!

• alex srt
    alex srt
    2014-06-18

Hi,

I finally succeeded :) after 3 week
    1. install proftpd module
    2. go to system > software
    3. Install a New Package
    4. check
    Package from YUM
    5. tape (to install EPEL)
    sudo rpm -Uvh http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/i386/epel-release-6-8.noarch.rpm
    6. tape (to install proftpd)
    sudo yum install proftpd
    7. click in Refresh Modules
    8. go Servers > ProFTPD Server (if you have a problem set config to
    path to config file : /etc/proftpd.conf
    path to executables : /usr/sbin/proftpd
    )

should work now :) i'm noob so some setup are maybe not required
    unfortunately i didn't continue to configure webmin because parallel plesk launched a new panel 12 wish cost only 2.99 euro for dedicated and vps server
    I'm afraid to meet another problem and not get help I opted for the second solution
    thank you to all who try to help

for expert who read and who have not taken the time to writing two lines to help
    shame on you

• Fred Grayson
    Fred Grayson
    2014-06-18

You were repeatedly told that the ProFTPD server software program was likely not installed and that a Webmin module cannot control missing software programs.

As I said, one of the most common Webmin mistakes is to think that installing Webmin modules also installs the software to be managed. It doesn't.

Another even more significant mistake it to think that installing Webmin is a replacement for actually learning something about Unix-like operating systems. It isn't.