Webmin File Manager and unsigned Java

Webmin
Jovan
2013-10-31
2014-02-01
  • Jovan
    Jovan
    2013-10-31

Not being a Linux expert, I find Webmin very useful, especially the file manager. Oracle have announced that as of February 2014, unsigned Java code will not run. Does this mean we lose the file manager ?

I'm running XP and Win 7 on my desktops.

Thanks.

• Fred Grayson
    Fred Grayson
    2013-10-31

The File Manager will throw up a pop box that you have to acknowledge before it will run. There is no way that I can see to disable this behavior - you will have to perform this acknowledgement every time you want to run the File Manager.

• Jovan
      Jovan
      2013-11-01

That's correct at the moment, but my question is what happens in Feb next year when we won't have that option, and the unsigned Java just will not run ?

• Tom
        Tom
        2014-02-01

I discovered today, after updating to the latest version of Java, that the webmin file manager does indeed completely cease to work as it is an unsigned app and Java now has no patience for them anymore.

The work-around: in the java control panel, under Security, you can add the file manager URL to the exceptions list. File manager works for me once again!

• gus gando
    gus gando
    2013-11-16

no!!
    java code is on a per install basis
    we manage our servers locally using OLD FIREFOX AND JAVA 1.3!!!
    DONT LOSE IT. ALWAYS USE IT. ALWAYS WORKS!!

with java - you can actually manage what runs during your seesion in the control box (PC). we collect old sw versions and hang on for dear life because we believe that clowns like oracle - as well intended as they want to be - ALWAYS FACTOR IN THE PAY ME NOW AND LATER FOREVER scheme which you dont need to buy into unless you are a very large company.

do yourself a favor - stick with what works.
    last time i checked you could still find older versions of java at java.com
    ff 3517 works fine www.oldapps.com/firefox.php
    windows xp is sufficient
    we do not recommend any windows above that as we believe that nsa connections are an invitation for theft of business information