Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Webmin cluster member login

Webmin
BogdanV
2014-06-27
2014-06-27
  • BogdanV
    BogdanV
    2014-06-27

Hi.
    I have several servers managed in a webmin cluster. I have this case in which, multiple webmin and unix users are created on some cluster members.
    They login to the cluster manager with their own user and it shows that. But when switching to a cluster member using the server index their username is switched to that one configured as the super user login for the cluster.
    Is it possible for them to login automatically from the server list as their username?
    Removing from the server index the login info to each server, then the cluster operations are not possible anymore.

Last edit: BogdanV 2014-06-27
  • BogdanV
    BogdanV
    2014-06-27

I read the documentation, i looked more on the server and module configuration and i can't understand if this works as it should.
    I have user with full access, and another with rights to just some modules. Because only the frontend server is accessible from internet, i want that the restricted user to be able to reach the other servers through webmin server index module.
    Since i need a cluster modules i have to configure the servers with user and pwd to login.
    The restricted user that tries to access a server from the webmin server index module will login automatically as the user configured for Login via Webmin.
    I see that the module has some configurable option for default login mode (3 modes + login with the same usr and pwd). That is not usable/functional in this case.
    Then under the user module rights options at server index i see "Force login type to default?" and "Connect through to servers" Those options have no effect for my case/needs
    I tried to set some options in the Unix User Authentication, like unix user correspondent to webmin user. That has no impact either.

I start to think that this combination of multiple webmin users and cluster modules are incompatible. Am I right?

• Jamie Cameron
    Jamie Cameron
    2014-06-27

Yes, passing through the authentication from the master server to others in the cluster is not supported by Webmin. The main reason is that after a user is logged in the master Webmin system no longer knows the plaintext password - all it gets is a session ID.

• BogdanV
    BogdanV
    2014-06-27

Yes, of course. And i don't ask to remember passwords.
    But this should in fact work like this at least: the access of the restricted users to the other servers should be possible to be configured to login with the option "Click to login" and not to login via webmin with full rights. Since you have this possibility to configure webmin user/group module options.

Last edit: BogdanV 2014-06-27