Mac OS X Lion install

Webmin
Rob Lewis
2011-09-25
2013-05-22
  • Rob Lewis
    Rob Lewis
    2011-09-25

I see that Webmin claims OS X compatibility but I can't find any pre-configured version to download, or any special instructions about installing/using with OS X.

Also, does it work with Lion? Are there any issues with the version of Lion Server that Apple is selling? (In case you missed it, "OS X Server for Lion" is no longer a separate OS, but a bundle of add-on apps for administering the capabilities built into the standard version of Lion.)

• Charles East
    Charles East
    2012-03-02

I just completed my own install on OS X Lion and wanted to share my results. PLEASE REFER TO www.webmin.com­/osx.html FOR THE STEPS, BUT REFER TO MY NOTES FOR EACH AND EVERY STEP. Hopefully someone with the Webmin team will update their documentation to reflect the changes

I am by no means a MAC or Unix guru, but having installed Webmin multiple times on Windows and Linux, I figured getting it up and running on Mac was a doable challenge for me, since I'm now running a new OS X Lion "server" with DNS and Web Hosting on it.

The Webmin installation documented at the link above is no longer accurate. There are several changes that need attention with regards to each step.

Under the INSTALL DEVELOPER TOOLS section:

Be sure to get XCode 4.2 for Lion. The install instructions have changed slightly, but for anyone following along, just "next your way along, and you'll be ok as the options you need are already selected "few as they are".

Under the INSTALL THE NET_SSLEAY.PM section:

Be sure to download the latest version, Net_SSLeay.pm-1.30.tar.gz. The installation steps are exacting and precise so no changes are needed there.

INSTALL THE AUTHEN_PAM.PM section:

Be sure to download the latest version, Authen-PAM-0.16.tar.gz. Once again the installation steps are exacting and precise so no changes are needed there.

INSTALL WEBMIN section:

All the steps in this are fine with the exception that you need to insert a step BEFORE step 5 or it will fail. Issue the 'sudo -s' command (without the quotes) - enter your admin password. You should now see a root# prompt at the beginning of each line you type. Now continue with step 5
    I am baffled with step 13 as there appears to be no file named pam-webmin anywhere on the system, so I'm furthering my investigation into this as to necessity (at least for my needs)

INSTALL USERMIN section:

All the steps in this are fine with the exception that you need to insert a step BEFORE step 5 or it will fail. Issue the 'sudo -s' command (without the quotes) - enter your admin password. You should now see a root# prompt at the beginning of each line you type. Now continue with step 5

I am also baffled with step 10 as there appears to be no file named pam-usermin anywhere on the system, and I think the instructions here might actually be wrong referring to webmin instead of usermin… so I'm furthering my investigation into this as to necessity (at least for my needs).

The process was completed without any problems, and I was up and running, setting up my Mac Mini DNS Server and New Web Server.

ONE NOTE!!!!  There seems to be a problem with regards to Bind not starting on system boot and I have not figured this out yet, so my solution is to simply manually start Bind server within Webmin whenever the server is restarted.

If someone has a solution to this, I certainly would appreciate your input!