SSH login issue

Help
2006-07-13
2013-05-22
  • I have installed Webmin successfully on 4 linux servers (YellowDog v3 (on a Mac) / YellowDog v4 (on a Mac) / Fedora Core 5 (on a PC) /Ubuntu 6.0.6 (on a Mac). Under YellowDog 3/4 I can navigate to Others and click on the SSH/Telnet Login, then fill in the login details and get to a command prompt without a problem.
    However, when I try to do the same on the Fedora Core 5 or the Ubuntu 6.0.6 servers when I fill out the login details and click on the login button I never get to a command prompt. I've tried logging using a variety of web browsers on both PC and Mac with the same result. As a result, I think the problem is to do with the configuration at the server end.
    I've also tested a remote SSH login in successfully from a Mac to the Ubuntu server from the command line. So I know the SSH service is running and working OK.
    I would be grateful if anyone could advise me what I need to do to get the Webmin SSH/Telnet Login working on the Fedora and Ubuntu systems.

• hfsys
      hfsys
      2006-09-11

I'm having the same issue of getting the login prompt, logging in and then not getting a command prompt.  I had SSH/Telnet working fine with Fedora Core 3 about a year ago, but now it's acting up with Fedora Core 4 & 5.  Hope someone has an answer because this is killing me.

• James Butler
      James Butler
      2006-09-11

Just testing it on a FC4 box.

Log into a normal SSH client then try to log in via Webmin, and "tail /var/log/secure". I can see that the Webmin SSH login was accepted, however there is no new SSH instance listed in "ps" and "who" does not indicate an additional login.

I, too, got the login prompt from the Webmin applet, however the applet's shell display doesn't load a shell. I'm not having any trouble with Webmin's directory browser applet. Maybe the problem lies with Webmin's SSH/Telnet applet and the way it's "talking" to the Linux auth process or how it attempts to launch the shell, once logged in?