Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Out of memory when opening large files

2013-03-09
2013-06-20
  • Boris Burtin
    Boris Burtin
    2013-03-09

Just tried opening a 1.5GB WAV file and ran out of memory. Any plans to update WaveShop to handle large files?

• Chris Korda
    Chris Korda
    2013-03-09

What version of Windows are you running, and is it 32-bit or 64-bit? In 64-bit Windows with at least 4GB of memory, you should not have this problem. See the warning in the requirements page, and Why do I see an "out of memory" error? in the FAQ.

Last edit: Chris Korda 2013-04-15
  • Axel Holzinger
    Axel Holzinger
    2013-05-28

Hi WaveShoppers,

may I chime in here?

This isn't a matter of the OS. This is a matter of the size of the file. If the file is big enough, even WaveShop x64 will get Windows to start a swapfile orgy.

I use (just "found" WaveShop this very saturday) WaveShop as a recording tool (BTW: very cool that you switch to RF64 on the fly; that's how it was meant to be). As I do very long recordings, i.e. 24h, which often leads to file sizes bigger than 20GB, loading the file into memory isn't a good idea at all.

So why not adding an option "Don't load file after end of recording"?

All the best and a very big thank you for your highly appreciated work!!!
    Axel

• Chris Korda
    Chris Korda
    2013-05-29

It's a reasonable request but it will be a little while before I can get to it. Also the Record options page is full, a minor problem but still it takes time to deal with it. In the meantime I suggest the following workaround: if you use the "One-touch" activation type, and end your recording by exiting WaveShop (e.g via the app-closing X button in the upper right corner of the app frame), WaveShop will end the recording without attempting to open it.

It would be very helpful if you would create a ticket, but either way thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers, Chris.

PS what will you do with a 20GB recording?

Last edit: Chris Korda 2013-05-29
  • Axel Holzinger
    Axel Holzinger
    2013-05-29

Hi Chris,

I have already made the changes in the source. I put it in the RecordDlg beside the Sync playback checkbox. So for me this is fine.

Are you interested in the patch/source? It's just RecordDlg.cpp, WaveShop.rc and resource.h.

I test bit-perfectness. On the playing side a wave file with a certain pattern is played out and on the recording side the pattern is checcked (offline after the recording was finished).

Cheers
    Axel

• Chris Korda
    Chris Korda
    2013-06-02

Hi Axel,

That sounds fine, good thinking. Sure the source files would be helpful, could you put them somewhere public so I can download them? Thanks!

Cheers,
    Chris

• Chris Korda
    Chris Korda
    2013-06-20

Hi Axel,

The latest version of WaveShop (1.0.10, released today) incorporates your Record dialog fix, though slightly modified: the checkbox is called "Open recording", i.e. the logic is positive instead of negative. Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers,

Chris