Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

default.pr0 with comments?

Help
2005-07-05
2013-04-17
  • chuck sumner
    chuck sumner
    2005-07-05

I can't seem to find anywhere where the conf options for default.pr0 are defined and/or explained.

Anyone care to take a shot at this?

• peter_uk
      peter_uk
      2005-07-06

• chuck sumner
      chuck sumner
      2005-07-06

Thanks, thats a great start.
      I wish there were more, but I'll take what I can get

• Starlionblue2
      Starlionblue2
      2006-09-06

That link is dead. I found the following text lying around. I forget where so credit to the great person who wrote it ;)

Basics
      --------

1. clientid128=00112233445566778899AABBCCDDEEFF

default: (no default value - this value must be set)

This is a 32 character hexadecimal string. It is automatically generated the first time you run wastesrv. (Or, if you are copying your default.pr* files from Windows, it was automatically generated when you ran the waste windows client.) According to the Help information provided by the Windows client, this uniquely created ID should normally not be reset. From what I gather, it's used as a fingerprint to identify files that have been downloaded from your machine. If your ID changes, people won't be able to resume their downloads because the fingerprint will have changed.

2. nick=NickName

default: null (Note: Your name will not show up in the users list if you don't set a nick name. Also - people will not be able to browse any files you have available. However - they will still see you in the Network list if you are connected directly to them.)

The value you set for nick is what will be displayed in the other person's WASTE client window to identify you. The maximum length appears to be 31 characters. It appears that every character is permitted including spaces and +-"~!@#$%^&*(){}[]/|

3. storepass=1

default: 0

This tells the waste server whether or not your password is stored in the config file. If set to 1, wastesrv will not prompt you for a password as long as keypass (see below) has the right password set. Set this option to 0 (or omit the option completely) if you don't want to store your password in the config file. wastesrv will prompt you for your password when you run it. Note that your password DOES get echoed to the screen when you type it.

4. keypass=password

default: null

This is the password for your default profile. This value is ignored if storepass is set to 0.

5. userinfo=Description Field

This information is available via "Whois user". I don't know what the maximum number of characters is but it's at least 200 by my own testing. It appears that every character is permitted including spaces and +-"~!@#$%^&*(){}[]/|

6. conspeed=384

default: 384

This option defines the speed of your Internet/Network connection in kilobits per second. It's used to set bandwidth constraints for your waste server. Note: Bandwidth throttling, if used, takes precedence over this option. (see section on bandwidth throttling.) The preset values are 32 for Modem, 64 for ISDN, 384 for Slow DSL/Cable, 1600 for T1/Fast DSL/Cable, or 20,000 for T3/LAN.

Here is my opinion about setting your conspeed. If your cable modem or DSL is capped, you should probably set this value based on your upload cap. One of the things this value is responsible for is to let other people know how fast they can get data from you. If you set it to T1 or LAN, and your cable modem or DSL is capped at 40kbytes/sec (320 kbits/sec), people aren't going to be able to get data from you any faster than your data cap so it's kind of misleading/annoying.

Note: If people will be sending a lot of data TO you and they have fast upload speeds at their end (i.e. they are NOT capped), then you should use bandwidth throttling to override the conspeed value so waste doesn't prevent you from receiving data quickly.

At my house I have a Cable Modem that has an upload cap of 40kbytes/sec. I set my conspeed to 384 so other people can see that I have a "Slow DSL/Cable" connection. But my download speeds can be as high as 300+ kbytes/sec. So I override the conspeed setting with bandwidth throttling so people can send me data as quickly as my cable modem is capable of.

7. route=1

default: unknown (probably 1)

This tells your waste server whether or not to route connections between connected clients. If you don't understand what routing means, you should leave it on. (Generically speaking, routing allows your server to act as a "the middle man" between two other machines/networks.) This can come in very handy if you want to connect two waste networks together through a single connection that is only available to one of the machines.

File Uploading (Options for your server receiving files)
      --------------------------------------------------------------------

1. accept_uploads=1

default: 1

Setting this option to 0 sometimes causes my server to crash. Possible bug?

This option has 3 bits, or 8 possible values. However, for use as a server, 0 and 1 are the only options that you need to worry about.

0 = do NOT accept file uploads
      1 = do accept file uploads

For those of you that are interested, here is the in depth information.

first bit - Toggles whether or not we allow file uploads.
      second bit - Toggles whether or not waste will prompt you before receiving files.
      third bit - Toggles whether or not to use relative paths in filenames.

0 = Do not accept file uploads to your waste server.
      1 = Allow file uploads to your waste server.
      2 = This is effectively the same as 0.
      3 = For the purpose of a server, this is effectively the same as 0. Allow file uploads to your waste server. Prompt before receiving files.
      4 = This is effectively the same as 0.
      5 = Allow file uploads to your waste server and use relative paths in filenames. (This doesn't seem to be any different than 1.)
      6 = This is effectively the same as 0.
      7 = For the purpose of a server, this is effectively the same as 0. Allow file uploads to your waste server, prompt before receiving files, and use relative paths in filenames.

Note: For the purposes of a background server process, values 3 and 7 don't make sense. In fact, options 3 and 7 don't work for a server, even if you run the server interactively.

2. downloadpath=/path/to/downloads

default: unknown

This is the path where files will be received when people upload them to your server. This path has to have write access by whatever user is running wastesrv or people will not be able to send you files.

File Sharing
      ---------------

1. databasepath=/path/to/shared-files;/path/to/more/shared-files

This is the list of directories you want to share. Separate multiple directories with semicolons.

2. dorefresh=1

This tells your waste server whether or not it should rescan your databasepath for changes. If you have this value turned off, the people that are connected to you won't see any changes made to your directory hierarchy.

3. refreshint=10

This tells your waste server how often to rescan your databasepath. This option is ignored if dorefresh is set to 0. The value is in minutes. 1 means rescan every minute, 15 means rescan every 15 minutes.

4. scanonstartup=1

Rescan directories on startup. This tells your waste server whether or not it should scan your databasepath when your waster server is started.

5. db_save=0

Cache file list to disk on exit. This tells your waste server whether or not it should write a default.pr2 file. If this option is set to 0, waste will not write the contents of your databasepath to the default.pr2 file when waste exits.

6. use_extlist=1

default: 0

This tells your waste server whether or not to use the extlist. (See below)

7. extlist=txt;doc;pdf

This value is ignored if use_extlist is set to 0. This tells your waste server to only report the existence of files with these extensions.

8. download_only_on=1

If this option is set to 0, people will be allowed to send you files with the same name more than once. Duplicate files are named numerically starting with 1. Example: File.jpg, File.1.jpg, File.2.jpg.

Optional/Advanced Networking
      ---------------------------------------

1. listen=1

This value tells your waste server whether or not to accept new connections. If it's set to 0, it won't allow any new connections. If you set this option to 0 while waste is running, it will not disconnect clients that have already established a connection (even if you tell waste to reread the config file.)

2. port=1337

default: 1337

This option has no meaning if listen is set to 0. This option defines what port you want wastesrv to listen on.

3. limit_in_cons=10

This option limits how many client connections you will allow.

4. limit_in_cons_ho=1

This option apparently limits the number of times the same IP address can connect to you. If a person was running more than one waste client on their machine, they would only be able to connect to you from one of them at a time unless this option was set higher than 1. I believe this would need to be set to 2 or higher if you were needing to allow multiple machines to connect to that were behind a NAT router (or IP Masq).

5. advertise_listen=1

I don't really understand what effect this option has. Sorry.

6. bcastkey=1

I *believe* what this option is for is to allow automatic discovery of new waste servers among the waste network. If a client is already on the network through someone else AND they are configured to automatically accept broadcast keys, then you are not required to give them your public key if you have broadcasting enabled. Your waste server will periodically broadcast it's public key and they will automatically receive it (or optionally be prompted to receive it.)

7. directxfers=1

This option allows clients to connect directly to you via your IP address so they can download a given file. If this option is set to 0, then clients that are connected to you *through* someone else will only get files from you after they pass through the middle man. That is potentially slower, but could possibly help you remain anonymous. If you are just connecting with friends/family, you should set this to 1 because it will increase throughput for everyone involved.

8. directxfers_conn=1

This option is ignored if directxfers is set to 0. This option makes it where the default behavior is to establish a direct connection with the person you are transferring files with. This should increase transfer speeds for everyone involved and reduce network bandwidth clutter.

9. nickonxfers=1

"Allow my nickname to be associated with transfers."

10. forceip_dynip_mo=2

Valid values for this option are 0, 1, or 2. I do not know what effect this option has.

11. forceip_name=192.168.1.10
      Valid values for this option are an IP address or a DNS Name. I do not know what the default value is for this option if it's not included in the config file. I believe it's just blank or null. I do not know what effect this option has.

12. networkname=Name/ID/Passphrase for your waste network
      This can be used to add another layer of obfuscation to your waste network. It can be used in various ways. As a Name - such as "Our Waste Network", as an ID - such as "WN0001", or a passphrase - such as "In order to access this network, you need this long string." It's a free form string, so you can use it however you want.

If you use this option, every user you connect to is required to have the same information. One use for this might be to create a private waste network within an existing waste network. If you had 15 people on your current waste network, you could create a network name and only tell one other person what the network name was so that only that person could see you. If this option is not defined in your config file, the default value is blank or null. If you are doubting that you need this, then you probably don't.

14. presharedkey=1
      This can be used in conjunction with networkname to make your waste network even more obfuscated. The default option for this value is 0 if it is not defined in your config file.

Bandwidth Throttling
      --------------------------

1. throttleflag=1
      This is a 4 bit option.

first bit - Toggles whether or not throttling is used for inbound data
      second bit - Toggles whether or not throttling is used for outbound data
      Third bit - Toggles whether or not the inbound throttle is set to Per connection or Total
      Fourth bit - Toggles whether or not the outbound throttle is set to Per connection or Total

Here are the 16 possible values. (Not all values have a valid use.)

0 = All bits off. Do not use bandwidth throttling.
      1 = Use bandwidth throttling for inbound data on a Per Connection basis.
      2 = Use bandwidth throttling for outbound data on a Per Connection basis.
      3 = Use bandwidth throttling for both inbound AND outbound data on a Per Connection basis.
      4 = Disables bandwidth throttling.
      5 = Use bandwidth throttling for inbound data on a Total Connection basis.
      6 = Use bandwidth throttling for outbound data on a Per Connection basis.
      7 = Use bandwidth throttling for inbound data on a Total Connection basis AND use bandwidth throttling for outbound data on a Per Connection basis.
      8 = Disables bandwidth throttling.
      9 = Effectively the same as 1.
      10 = Use bandwidth throttling for outbound data on a Total Connection basis.
      11 = Use bandwidth throttling for inbound data on a Per Connection basis AND use bandwidth throttling for outbound data on a Total Connection basis.
      12 = Disables bandwidth throttling.
      13 = Effectively the same as 11.
      14 = Effectively the same as 10.
      15 = Use bandwidth throttling for inbound data on a Total Connection basis AND use bandwidth throttling for outbound data on a Total Connection basis.

This option tells your waste server whether or not to limit the amount of bandwidth it uses. The default value for this option is 0 if it's not defined in your config file. Your allotted bandwidth will be limited by the conspeed setting if throttling is not used.

2. throttlesrecv=12
      This option is ignored unless the first bit of throttleflag is set. (Valid throttleflag values for this option to have any effect are 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, or 15.) This is the amount of bandwidth (in kilobits) that you want to allow your waste server to use for inbound data transmissions. (When people are sending files to you.) I do not know what the default value is for this option if it's not included in the config file.

3. throttlesend=12
      This option is ignored unless the second bit of throttleflag is set. (Valid throttleflag values for this option to have any effect are 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, or 15.) This is the amount of bandwidth (in kilobits) that you want to allow your waste server to use for outbound data transmissions. (When people are downloading from you.) I do not know what the default value is for this option if it's not included in the config file.

Access Control
      --------------------

1. ac_use=1
      This tells your waste server whether or not to use Access Control. If the value does not appear in your config file, it defaults to 0 (meaning do not use Access Control.) Access Control allows you to limit who can connect to your waste server based on IP address information. This concept isn't really for novice users. If you aren't familiar with Access Control, you probably shouldn't use this. Remember that people can't connect to you unless you have their public key listed in your list of public keys and you have given them your public key. So if you want to get rid of somebody, remove their public key from your list. Also - a note to the initiated - if you have a firewall, you could use it to block the person's IP before they even got to the machine your waste server was running on. Just an idea.

All other access control statements are ignored if ac_use is set to 0.

2. ac_cnt=0
      This is the number of access control statements you have.

3. ac_#=[A|D]IP_ADDRESS
      This is the format of the Access Control statement. The best way to explain it is with examples.

ac_0=A192.168.1.10 - This statement would Allow access from 192.168.1.10
      ac_1=D192.168.1.11 - This statement would Deny access to 192.168.1.11
      ac_2=D0.0.0.0/0 - This statement would Deny access to EVERYTHING.

These statements are read top-down, or first match. If a rule matches, the access control is granted or denied (based on the rule it matched with) and the rest of the access control list is ignored. If you only wanted to allow access to 1 or 2 people, you could setup ALLOW statements for them, and then include a global DENY statement at the bottom to deny access to everyone else. If you globally DENY access at the very top of the list, no one will be able to use your waste server no matter what the rest of your access control list says.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Options that don't seem to work for the server mode (but should!)
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logging
      ----------

I guess the log path option doesn't work because there's a command line option to specify the log file. But I would think the loglevel option should still be configurable, but it's not.

loglevel=0
      This option determines whether waste will log anything, and if so, how much. If this option is set to 0, logging is disabled. Set it to 1-5 for logging. 5 logs the most.

logpath=/path/to/log
      If loglevel is set to 0, this option is ignored. This is the path where waste will write it's log file to. The user that waste is running as must have write access to this directory.

File Sharing
      ---------------

recv_maxdl_host=1

(This option doesn't seem to work for the server. I don't know why. There seems to be another variable called recv_maxdl but it doesn't matter whether recv_maxdl is set to 1 or not. The maximum downloads doesn't seem to get set no matter how I set the variables.)

This is the maximum number of uploads you want to allow at the same time from the same user. If this is set to 1, users will only be able to send you 1 file at a time. I don't know what the default value for this option is if it's not defined in your config file.

Setting Limits for the number of simultaneous outbound transfers
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neither of these work. I don't know why.

1. limit_uls=1
      This tells your waste server whether or not to limit the number of outbound file transfers. I do not know what the default value for this option is if it's not defined in your config file.

2. ul_limit=16
      This option is ignored if limit_uls is set to 0. This tells your waste server how many outbound transfers are allowed at one time. I do not know what the default value for this option is if it's not defined in your config file.

Maintaining Connections (Auto connecting / reconnecting)
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: Apparently this isn't a mistake. According to the forums at waste.sf.net, these options aren't valid in waste 1.5 beta2. Apparently there will be a "stay alive" feature added to waste 1.6

(FIXME: Not sure what's up with these options. They don't seem to work. Or (more likely) I'm just not using them correctly.)

1. keepupnet=1
      This tells your waste server how many connections it should maintain at any given time. I do not know what the default value is for this option if it's not included in your config file. I think it's 0.

2. concb_#=IP Address[:port]
      These options tell your waste server which IP addresses it should try auto connecting/reconnecting to. Examples:

concb_0=192.168.1.10
      concb_1=192.168.1.12:8009

The first one will try to connect to 192.168.1.10 using the default port (1337).
      The second one will try to connect to 192.168.1.12 using port 8009

Auto Accepting Keys / Rebroadcasting
      ------------------------------------------------
      Update: This option seems to be hardwired to "keydistflags=5" (or possibly 1) for the server. No matter how I set it, the server will autoaccept keys. I'm not sure if it auto rebroadcasts keys or not.

1. keydistflags=0

This option is a little tricky for the uninitiated. It uses 3 bits to determine it's behavior. I don't know what the default value is for this option if it's not defined in the config file.

1st bit - Determines if we auto-accept keys that were broadcast by others.
      2nd bit - Determines if we prompt to receive keys that were broadcast by others.
      3rd bit - Determines if we rebroadcast keys that were broadcast by others.

Here are the 8 possible settings.

0 = Do NOT auto-accept keys that were broadcast by others.
      Do NOT prompt to receive keys that were broadcast by others.
      Do NOT rebroadcast keys that were broadcast by others.

1 = Do auto-accept keys that were broadcast by others.

2 = Do NOT auto-accept keys that were broadcast by others.
      Do prompt to receive keys that were broadcast by others.

3 = We can't prompt AND auto-accept at the same time, so this just has the same effect as 1.

4 = Do NOT auto-accept keys that were broadcast by others.
      Do rebroadcast keys that were broadcast by others.

5 = Do auto-accept keys that were broadcast by others.

6 = Do NOT auto-accept keys that were broadcast by others.
      Do prompt to receive keys that were broadcast by others.

7 = We can't prompt AND auto-accept at the same time, so this just has the same effect as 5.

Note: For the purpose of a background server process, the only values that make sense are 0, 1, 4, or 5.