Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Wally in Gnome-Shell

Help
rick
2011-10-20
2013-04-24
  • rick
    rick
    2011-10-20

I installed Wally in my Ubuntu 11.10 gnome-shell install and failed to select indicator at the beginning of the install. Now, it loads and works but there is no indicator or other gui to access. How can I fix this so it will display again? Thanks!

• Hi,

I posted a news on my website (www.becrux.com), explaining how to solve this issue.

Tony.

• Hello, I have the same problem on Gnome-Shell 3.2 (ubuntu oneiric):
    If I do:

$ gsettings get com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist

I obtain:

In unity, wally works very well and I coudl see his icon in the tray.

Thanks for your help.

LGDN.

• Tony are you using gnome shell? If yes do you have an icon in the tray?

• Hi,

this is what I have, in Gnome Classic, Unity and GnomeShell. In GnomeShell, my system tray is at bottom of the screen, on the right. This is the Ubuntu 11.10 default installation.

• It seems wally does not automatically launch at gnome-shell start, could you explain me how to verify that? Where is the autostart for gnome-shell?

• In fact I have wally in gnome-session-properties, it changes regurlarly the gnome-shell wallpaper but there is no icon in the my system tray at bottom of the screen, on the right. If I kill wally and launch it again, I have the icon, do you know why?

Thanks for your help.

LGDN

• no answer?

• Hi,

I cannot access my Ubuntu machines in these days. If you can wait for the weekend, I can make some tests. Sorry for the delay.

• Hi,

these are my results:

Unity -> it simply works. Just add Wally to Startup Applications.

Gnome Classic -> system tray has been removed, and I found no way to add it again. So Wally is useless in such configuration.

Gnome Shell (this should be your case) -> there's a delay issue due to a Gnome bug. Gnome Shell starts after Startup Applications, and so it's not notified about system tray requests. Just solve this problem adding Wally to Startup Applications, but with a delayed start:

bash -c "sleep 10 && wally"

• Sorry, just a fix about my previous answer.

It works also with Gnome Classic, but it's affected by the same problem as Gnome Shell. So, a delayed start can help.

• Thank you for this workaround, it works. If this is a gnome-shell bug, did you see an already opened report or I could open one.

LGDN

• Well, I don't know if there's an already opened specific bug about that.

The only thing that I can say is that if you google "Gnome systray", you'll find a lot of posts blaming and complaining about the new system tray behaviour, and many software that used to work now don't work anymore.

There're also some bug opened. But please check it further, to be sure.