c# building/debugging?

Help
2011-03-01
2013-05-15
  • julian hall
    julian hall
    2011-03-01

Hi I've been evaluating this library and I've hit a bit a bit of a wall.

I've profiled version 2.9 and i've noticed that

com.ximpleware.EOFExceptions

are thrown and caught constantly when parsing xml.

I wanted to narrow this down to see if i could avoid this for obvious performance reasons.
    But could not compile the source with visual studio 2010.   (I've also just tried the same with versiion 2.10)  I seem to get a lot of VTDNav protection level compliation errors.

Is there some documentation on compiling the c# version?

I've also noticed that the latest bin version is compiled with .net 4.0?

thanks.

• jimmy zhang
    jimmy zhang
    2011-03-01

EOFException will only be thrown once per parse()…therefore it is not obvious why it would cause any performance issue.
    Compliation errors? the latest build is based on visual C# 2010 express, there should not be any compilation errors, other wise there will be no dlls, right?

• julian hall
    julian hall
    2011-03-02

I should explain better:

I couldn't compile, so I was using the dll's from the bin distribution:

I have an interpreter that at runtime will parse any dynamic xml - as the interpreter is running I can see that EOFExceptions are thrown and caught continuously as I parse my many xml snippets.  I was simply worried about performance as when errors are thrown the context is switched and depending on the stack depth - could incur overhead.

I have taken the latest source from CVS and opened the solution using the .sln file into VS2010.

Everything comes in fine, but when i try to compile there are the types of compilation errors i'm getting:

Error   1   The type or namespace name 'Expr' does not exist in the namespace 'com.ximpleware' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\FilterExpr.cs 19  29  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   2   The type or namespace name 'Expr' does not exist in the namespace 'com.ximpleware' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\BinaryExpr.cs 19  29  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   3   The type or namespace name 'Expr' does not exist in the namespace 'com.ximpleware' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\PathExpr.cs   19  29  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   4   The type or namespace name 'Expr' does not exist in the namespace 'com.ximpleware' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\FuncExpr.cs   21  29  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   5   The type or namespace name 'ArrayList' does not exist in the namespace 'com.ximpleware' (are you missing an assembly reference?)    C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\FastLongBuffer.cs 44  26  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   6   The type or namespace name 'ArrayList' does not exist in the namespace 'com.ximpleware' (are you missing an assembly reference?)    C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\FastIntBuffer.cs  48  26  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   7   The type or namespace name 'ArrayList' does not exist in the namespace 'com.ximpleware' (are you missing an assembly reference?)    C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\FastObjectBuffer.cs   54  26  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   8   Metadata file 'C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\bin\Debug\ximple-dev_csharp.dll' could not be found   DOMTest

I'm just worried i don't have the latest files?  Or has everything been comitted to CVS?
    A similar situation happens when i take the source from the distribution.

thanks.

• jimmy zhang
    jimmy zhang
    2011-03-02

you should probably remove Expr from the com.ximpleware.xpath package, this packae is moved to com.ximpleware. that is what causing the compilation error

• julian hall
    julian hall
    2011-03-03

hi, thanks…. I would if i could, but I don't think you comitted it to the new location. (same with ArrayList)….

I'm sure if you do a fresh check out and try to compile you'll see exactly what i'm getting at.  

• julian hall
    julian hall
    2011-03-04

Yes they are - your comitted solution file didn't include them.
    I've included them as well as the XMLByteStream.cs and VTDNav_L5.cs but i now have over 80 other compilation errors.

Error   112 The best overloaded method match for 'com.ximpleware.UnionExpr.UnionExpr(com.ximpleware.Expr)' has some invalid arguments   C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\xpath\parser.cs   1154    18  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   115 The best overloaded method match for 'com.ximpleware.UnionExpr.UnionExpr(com.ximpleware.Expr)' has some invalid arguments   C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\xpath\parser.cs   1168    14  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   106 The best overloaded method match for 'com.ximpleware.PathExpr.PathExpr(com.ximpleware.Expr, com.ximpleware.LocationPathExpr)' has some invalid arguments    C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\xpath\parser.cs   1095    17  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   108 The best overloaded method match for 'com.ximpleware.PathExpr.PathExpr(com.ximpleware.Expr, com.ximpleware.LocationPathExpr)' has some invalid arguments    C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\xpath\parser.cs   1113    17  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   102 The best overloaded method match for 'com.ximpleware.FilterExpr.FilterExpr(com.ximpleware.Expr, com.ximpleware.xpath.Predicate)' has some invalid arguments C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\xpath\parser.cs   1045    13  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   118 The best overloaded method match for 'com.ximpleware.BinaryExpr.BinaryExpr(com.ximpleware.Expr, int, com.ximpleware.Expr)' has some invalid arguments   C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\xpath\parser.cs   1208    13  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   122 The best overloaded method match for 'com.ximpleware.BinaryExpr.BinaryExpr(com.ximpleware.Expr, int, com.ximpleware.Expr)' has some invalid arguments   C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\xpath\parser.cs   1223    13  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   126 The best overloaded method match for 'com.ximpleware.BinaryExpr.BinaryExpr(com.ximpleware.Expr, int, com.ximpleware.Expr)' has some invalid arguments   C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\xpath\parser.cs   1238    13  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   131 The best overloaded method match for 'com.ximpleware.BinaryExpr.BinaryExpr(com.ximpleware.Expr, int, com.ximpleware.Expr)' has some invalid arguments   C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\xpath\parser.cs   1265    13  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   135 The best overloaded method match for 'com.ximpleware.BinaryExpr.BinaryExpr(com.ximpleware.Expr, int, com.ximpleware.Expr)' has some invalid arguments   C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\xpath\parser.cs   1280    13  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   140 The best overloaded method match for 'com.ximpleware.BinaryExpr.BinaryExpr(com.ximpleware.Expr, int, com.ximpleware.Expr)' has some invalid arguments   C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\xpath\parser.cs   1307    13  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   143 The best overloaded method match for 'com.ximpleware.BinaryExpr.BinaryExpr(com.ximpleware.Expr, int, com.ximpleware.Expr)' has some invalid arguments   C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\xpath\parser.cs   1322    13  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   147 The best overloaded method match for 'com.ximpleware.BinaryExpr.BinaryExpr(com.ximpleware.Expr, int, com.ximpleware.Expr)' has some invalid arguments   C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\xpath\parser.cs   1337    13  ximple-dev_csharp
    Error   150 The best overloaded method match for 'com.ximpleware.BinaryExpr.BinaryExpr(com.ximpleware.Expr, int, com.ximpleware.Expr)' has some invalid arguments   C:\_dev\enterprise\xml_engines\ximple-dev_csharp\ximple-dev_csharp\com\ximpleware\xpath\parser.cs   1352    13  ximple-dev_csharp

if you just pull a fresh workspace and try to load the project you'll see my issues….

• julian hall
    julian hall
    2011-03-04

Ok - I finally got it -

The csproj file in cvs needs to be updated. 

Need to add:
        <Compile Include="com\ximpleware\ArrayList.cs" />
        <Compile Include="com\ximpleware\Expr.cs" />
        <Compile Include="com\ximpleware\VTDNav_L5.cs" />
        <Compile Include="com\ximpleware\XMLByteStream.cs" />
        <Compile Include="com\ximpleware\xpath\VariableExpr.cs" />
        <Compile Include="TUVienna\CS_CUP\CSCup.cs" />

need to remove:
        <Compile Include="com\ximpleware\xpath\Expr.cs" />
        <Compile Include="TUVienna\CS_CUP\Runtime\AssemblyInfo.cs" />

• jimmy zhang
    jimmy zhang