Announcing Visual Tcl 1.5.1 alpha 1
Visual Tcl is a freely-available, cross-platform application development environment for the Tcl/Tk language. It is available for XWindows as well as for Windows 9x/Windows 2000.
The 1.5.1a1 version offers several significant improvements over the 1.2.2 version:
- the UI has been revamped. A menu editor is in the works to complete the UI remodeling. The bindings editor has been rewritten.
- inserting widgets now works in a way similar to other IDEs like Visual C++ or Visual Basic: select the widget in a palette, then click where you want to place it (inside a frame, a toplevel, etc.)
- a new mechanism designed by Damon Courtney allows for easier definition of new widgets. Additional widgets have their code automatically included in saved projects, so no dependencies are created. The combobox and the multicolumn listbox will be part of the 1.5.1 release without any need for extra packages.
- aliases have been made easier to use by the means of commands.
- multiple file projects are now possible, and images can be saved inline
See the ChangeLog for details.