Increasing functionality of "Save as Tclet"

2008-01-13
2013-05-08
  • Bill Saunders
    Bill Saunders
    2008-01-13

Hello,
      I've been using vtcl since day one (moved from XF to it).  I have not contributed and feel bad about that.  I just dont have confidence in my programming skills.

One problem I've had with vtcl (and all other gui toolkits) is rearchitecting my program logic to fit the tool's code harness.  I never can seem to do 100% development in vtcl and have to resort to editting the code after I save it.

This time when I encountered the need/desire to add code I gave up and checked out several of the other gui tk design tools.  Each one had the same problem so I came back to vtcl.

Once I came back I was struck with the idea "use Save as Tclet to reduce the complexity and then add your custom code to that".

This is working well for me.  vtcl becomes more of a "design a widget" or "design a screen" not a "design an application" tool.  I design small sections of the gui, one at a time, in vtcl.  Then using the saved as tclet code I assemble my application.  Sounds burdensom but actually works well.  I get the power of a gui tool to quickly layout a complex but good looking gui.  I dont have to lay it out by hand.  Once done drawing, I save as tclet and can actually read the source code (very little vtcl harness in the tclet output).

This is perfect, almost...

So what's the problem? "pack .cpd60.01.fra83.cpd61.01.fra83.cpd62.01 -in .cpd60.01.fra83.cpd61.01.fra83.cpd62" is the problem.  It's, for my simple brain, impossible to tell what widget I'm dealing with.

My proposal is to add the Alias names to the tclet output code.  This shouldnt be tough as we already have them and they're just a global variable which I think tclet code can have.  So...anybody interested in doing this?  Probably just a cut and paste of the output of the alias's in the normal file/save pasted into the compound/save as tclet routine.

Bill

• Ken Parker
      Ken Parker
      2008-01-14

>I've been using vtcl since day one (moved from XF to it). I have not contributed and feel >bad about that. I just dont have confidence in my programming skills.
      There are other ways to contribute to the project besides programming. Making distributions, testing, maintaining the website, promoting the project, Documentation, etc.... Right now you are helping out a grteat deal by providing feadback.

>One problem I've had with vtcl (and all other gui toolkits) is rearchitecting my program >logic to fit the tool's code harness. I never can seem to do 100% development in vtcl and >have to resort to editting the code after I save it.
      This is a common problem with any of the visual tools I have used also. So much so that alot of the tools out there are made just to be gui designers. I don't see a away around it other than you making yourself more comfortable with the environment and we ( as the developers ) enhancing the interface and eliviating the problems.

>My proposal is to add the Alias names to the tclet output code. This shouldnt be tough as >we already have them and they're just a global variable which I think tclet code can have. >So...anybody interested in doing this? Probably just a cut and paste of the output of the >alias's in the normal file/save pasted into the compound/save as tclet routine.
      I will add it as a feature request.

Thanks for the input,
      Ken