Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Reconnecting without losing internet

Help
Anonymous
2010-08-04
2013-04-24

• Anonymous
    2010-08-04

I'm just wondering how to configure this such that it reconnects when just the VPN disconnects (vs the LAN and thus VPN disconnecting)?

Right now, if you have the VPN connected but still have internet access without the VPN being connected, it does not detect the disconnect (because it is just pinging google). I tried changing the address that it pings to the internal IP of the gateway of the VPN server, which does allow it to detect when the VPN gets disconnected however it still does not reconnect.

I'm thinking a possible solution would be for it to ping google to see if it has internet connection, and then either ping an IP only accessible if the VPN is active and then decide if it should reconnect or not., if this is even possible?

• Manu
    Manu
    2010-08-10

Not exactly. The state of the vpn is not based only of the ping result. Its a combinate of the ping state and the vpn state.
    So if the VPN is down and the internet (so google.com respond) is UP we can reconnect it. If the vpn is down and google.com does not respond the vpn wait a connection to reconnnect.
    A special option exist when the DNS is down to ping an IP and not a domain.

• Anonymous
    2010-08-11

Thanks for the reply, thats Interesting. I guess the question I have then is why does mine not attempt to reconnect the VPN even though it can ping google successfully? What is the timing delay on reconnecting the VPN, does it only try every X minutes after it detects a disconnect?

• Manu
    Manu
    2010-08-13

Vpnautoconnect has a timeout available to detect some temporary connection problem. You can change the default parameter "TimeoutBeforeSwitch" set at 5 seconds. I discover a bug in vpnautoconnect 1.0.6 that affect the reconnection after 65535 seconds. If the problem of reconnection appears after 18 hours wait the next update available this week (I Hope).
    So if you can't wait  and you known how to compile I can send you an 1.0.7 beta