From: Constantin Kaplinsky <const@ce...> - 2003-08-02 11:12:35
Finally, TightVNC 1.2.9 is out.
This release is mostly 1.2.8 with a number of bugfixes (including
critical ones, in the Win32 version). If you are running 1.2.8 or
earlier versions, please consider upgrading to this one.
As for new features our team was working recent months (including file
transfers, extensible protocol, and new Win32 viewer), they will
appear in the 1.3dev2 release. The status of the 1.3dev2 code and our
plans for future development will be outlined in another e-mail in
TightVNC and TightVNC-Announce mailing lists.
TightVNC binaries and sources can be obtained in the usual place:
Here is a summary of changes in the new 1.2.9 release:
- Win32 version: Major security-related bug in the server has been
fixed -- handling of the "QueryAllowNoPass" option was seriously
broken. Together with fixing this bug, the whole authentication
logic in the server code has been redesigned.
- Win32 version: Now the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive is being
closed properly on restoring display settings, on disconnect. This
change should solve the problem with unloading the registry on
logout, when WinVNC is running as a service.
- Win32 version: Problems with "QuerySetting" and "QueryTimeout"
options have been fixed -- the settings could be copied from user
configuration to default settings without user's intention.
- Win32 version: A long-standing bug has been fixed -- the logic to
handle retries after authentication failures was flawed, and used
to delete the same object twice under certain conditions.
- Win32 version: Now it's possible to specify port numbers with the
winvnc -connect option, using the "host::port" format. Also,
providing a -connect option without arguments now brings up the
"Add New Client" dialog.
- Unix version: New "Request refresh" button has been implemented in
the viewer's F8 popup menu.
- Unix version: Xvnc compilation fixes for HP-UX and MacOS X have
been applied, from Ki NETWORKS, Inc.
- Unix version: New vncpasswd -f command-line option has been
implemented. It allows providing passwords on stdin and writes
encrypted passwords to stdout. In addition, the password file name
"-" now denotes stdout. Finally, a buffer overflow has been fixed
in vncpasswd -- it could be caused by a long file name in the
- Unix version: A patch to fix input focus problems in the X11
viewer has been applied, from Greg Breland.
- Unix version: A patch fixing Xvnc crashes on Sparc has been
applied, from the RealVNC distribution.
- Unix version: A problem with incorrect port interpretation has
been fixed, in the vncviewer's -tunnel option handling. Thanks to
- Java viewer: A modification from Bernd Krueger-Knauber has been
accepted, to pass through X keysyms for foreign currencies.
- Java viewer: The problem with initial keyboard focus not set to
the desktop on some JVMs has been fixed.
- Other minor improvements and bugfixes.
With Best Wishes,