Change control Systems

2013-03-01
2013-07-10
  • John Malmberg
    John Malmberg
    2013-03-01

Sourceforge supports 3 change control systems, and this project is set up for all three of them.

I do not have experience with Mercurial, so I will not be commenting on it.

Of the other two, git and subversion, I am recommending that subversion be used for most of the porting projects.

This is because subversion supports a sparse checkout. You only have to check out the sections of the repository that you are interested in. Internally subversion keeps a copy of the files checked out in its hidden directory.

Git pulls down the entire repository always and stores it in its hidden directory. Git will simulate a sparse checkout by making only the files that you are interested in visible.

So if you are disk space constrained, the subversion repository method is more friendly.

• John Malmberg
    John Malmberg
    2013-03-02

Jouk Jansen wrote:

and another reason :
    jsvn runs perfectly on OpenVMS systems
    On the other hand the only git-client I know running on OpenVMS is jgit, but is not fully functional and fails in certain cases on ODS2/5 file systems.

Moderator Note: The Sourceforge forum to mail gateway is still broken and replying to the e-mails starts new topics.

Also the moderation function does not allow moving posts back into the correct topic.

• I agree with .-1 !

I was recently developing a maven pom.xml for the svnkit as it has moved from maven builds to gradle builds.

Question: Is there a gradle port for OpenVMS JAVA 1.6 ? to i.e. buil an svnkit and stay in sync with that open source project?

I was able to re-mavenize the svnkit and after all had a perfect build and a svnkit-dav.war deployed to OpenVMS Tomcat. Then I was very surprised how very very slow that stuff runs and fails. I think the used JetSQL DB layer is not doing well. So building and testing a JetSQL kit is my next adventure when I find a bit time. Building the svnkit makes just use today of the JetSQL and guess this one is not doing well on OpenVMS. Earlier times ago, I magaed to build it all myelf but had not time to check the svnkit-dav.war on OpenVMS.

So any thoughts about svnkit-dav.war are welcome.
    Josef