December Conference Call Notes - Next meetings in January 2014 - See details in message

2013-12-16
2013-12-16
  • Bill Pedersen
    Bill Pedersen
    2013-12-16

    Conference calls: 9/12 December 2013 (combined notes)

    Next MONTHLY conference call: 13 January 2014 at 08:00 EST.

    • We plan to review the effectiveness of the Monthly (second Monday) calls in March. If you have not been involved and want to see this forum continue please participate.

    Next fortnightly conference call: Thursday 23 January 2014 at 23:00 EST

    • shift of one week due to Shutdown as well.

    ALL conference calls will use the same conference call ID, at bottom of these notes. Telephone numbers referenced at bottom of page as well.

    Attendees:

    • Community:

      • 9 Dec
        • Jouk Jansen
        • Ton van der Zwet
        • Bill Pedersen
      • 12 Dec
        • Jerry Eckard
        • Craig Berry
        • Ton van der Zwet
        • Bill Pedersen
    • OpenVMS Engineering:

      • 9 Dec
        • Mandar
        • Murali
        • Lok
        • Deepak
        • Mashoud
        • Ash (Java Product Manager, HP-UX Open Source Product Manager)
      • 13 Dec
        • Amit
        • Murali
        • Vidya (Compiler Engineering)
        • Lok
        • Deepak
        • Mashoud
    • Prior HP Action items:

      • Reviewing how to move forward with OpenJDK and JIT Compiler issue, still being reviewed.
      • Perl - waiting on release of tests HP has - moving forward
      • Powell Hazard has been given access to test SSIO
      • Mandar working to make sure following on Porting Cluster (still open):
        • bash 4.2.45(4)
        • coreutils 8.21
        • zlib 1.2.8
        • cURL 7.32
        • perl 5.18.1
        • python 2.7.5(4.03a)
          • mercurial
    • Community action items:

      • Bill to work getting new members more integrated - continuing
      • Bill to encourage Community to help with testing of new OpenVMS features
        • pipe()
        • SSIO

    No new action items.

    • Bill to coordinate with volunteers and get them on track:

      • Bernie Clarke - cURL maintainer
      • David Hoelzer - Ticket Librarian
      • Mark Wickens - ncurses getting started
      • Additional potential new members
        • Kaushik Roy (still in discussions)
        • Roger Winnewisser (still in discussions)
    • Bash

      • No updates
    • zlib

      • No updates - need maintainer
    • cURL

      • Working to get Bernie Clarke moving forward
    • GNV

      • COREUTILS 8.21 released
      • Hg repositories available
      • Old CVS repositor for GNV still available
      • next tasks
        • sed
        • GNU make - looking to see of we can allocate to one of the new people
          • HP has provided their work product
          • need someone to do this
    • gawk

      • JM working this through
      • Several tickets in the works
        • VMS/VAX mkstemp broken but does work on Alpha/IA64
        • CRTL loses local timezone knowledge
        • CRTL returning incorrect error in FILLM/CHANNELCNT exceeded
    • glib

      • no updates
      • not building all the way yet
      • "constructors" - a new C compiler feature - initialization that run before main() not in HP C so need to figure out how to handle.
    • GTK

      • No update
    • Mercurial

      • In use, not issues
      • plan to set up bash 4.3 since release is eminent
    • nucurses

      • No significant progress
      • Mark Wickens volunteered to help here
      • On going coordination
    • PostgreSQL

      • No updates
    • Perl

      • No updates
      • Craig will help with getting some down load process defined for Perl from CPAN
      • Craig to look at Archive-ZIP issue Ton was having (for LibreOffice)
      • PerlVMS mailing list
    • Python

      • No updates
    • GCC

      • No updates
    • Tools : vmspath

      • No updates
    • Unix ODBC

      • No updates
    • freeTBS

      • No updates
    • PCSI Kitting Resource

      • No updates
    • Ruby

      • No updates other than interest in OpenJDK and other efforts
    • Porting Guide - now moved to WikiBooks

    • OpenOffice - LibreOffice

      • Ton now has bash 4.2.45(4) to test with LibreOffice
      • A bit further
      • discussed some issues around Perl after call
        • need to use a script to invoke Perl
        • discussion from JohnM as to fact that some ported utilities expect to see their libraries in the directory relative to where they are started
        • DO NOT use entry or symbolic link
        • more discussion on getting necessary Perl packages loaded
    • Netherlands

      • "porting" workshop in 15 January 2014 to give a jumpstart for some of their people
      • cover more than the technical issues of a port
        • documentation
        • testing
      • Ton and others working on developing "kit" for workshop
    • ClamAV

      • Jeremy Begg and Jouk Jansen now coordinating
      • Jouk has scanning all files but will not scan single files
      • Jeremy working through building under GNV
        • Jeremy having issues with build
        • Coordinated with John and Eric
    • X3270(S3270 sub-set)

      • no update - operational in project
    • HP OpenVMS Engineering (Open Source)

      • CRTL:
        • working on #75 and #72
        • remove() api issues being reviewed
        • strerr looks like a performance issue
          • Craig will review
          • Perl is a special case on demand variable type
            • Numeric
            • String
        • symlink issue with executing installed images - missing reproducer and JM does not have good documentation at present
        • some bug fixes checked in after testing (fgetc/fread among others)
        • local timezone issue - have not yet been able to reproduce
      • Fortran
        • continued research
        • Expecting status update in January
        • Both Compiler and RTL have to be fixed
        • formal ticket opened
      • Pipe
        • no updates
        • looking for feedback
        • looking for testers
        • same API as mailbox() implementation
        • API changes as of yet from comments from by Doug Rupp.
      • SSIO
        • no updates
        • looking for feedback
        • looking for testers
      • want to review tickets
    • Build farm issues

      • no updates
      • HP Open Source Cluster
      • Deathrow now has both Alpha and I64, continuing to evaluate
      • Kerry Main
      • CCSS (IA64, Alpha, VAX), need to setup some sort of external access and consider keeping running.
      • charon.stromays.com (Alpha, VAX)
      • Jeremy Begg
      • Dan Fleury offered systems but these can only do off-line testing
    • Unix Domain Sockets

      • no updates
    • Named Pipes

      • no updates
    • OpenJDK

      • have a small group of interested Community members
      • will coordinate with Mandar on moving this forward
      • still waiting on HP and Legal

    See 18 Apr 2013 discussion for telephone number list..

    The conference call code is: 3460779320

     
    Last edit: Bill Pedersen 2014-01-09
  • Correction: In the 13 Dec conference call, Vidya (and not Radia) was the person who gave her perspective from Compiler Engineering.

     
  • Bill Pedersen
    Bill Pedersen
    2013-12-16

    Thank you for the correction.