Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Using a MIDI Keyboard

Help
2011-10-17
2013-02-09
  • Mark Johnson
    Mark Johnson
    2011-10-17

Upon opening VMPK for the first time, I found working the virtual keyboard with my mouse and alphanumeric keyboard worked well. Then, upon enabling MIDI input and selecting the appropriate device from the drop-down menu, I found that my MIDI keyboard would highlight keys but produce no sound. The mouse and alphanumeric keyboard would still work. I restarted VMPK, but then it would not even let me enable MIDI input. I re-installed and got the same results. I can remember getting it to work before, however.

• Hi,

First of all: which operating system are you using? this information is fundamental, because without it I can't propose any diagnostic procedure for your MIDI system.  Second: do you realize that VMPK doesn't produce any sound by itself, only MIDI events?. If you can hear sound from your computer when you hit some keys, that means a MIDI Synthesizer is connected to VMPK's output port.  Which synthesizer are you using?

Regards,
    Pedro

• habilac
    habilac
    2011-12-14

A) Edit, Connections: 1) Enable MIDI input, 2) Enable MIDI Thru, 3) Input MIDI Connection: Edirol UM-1 MIDI (mine), 4) Output MIDI Connection: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth (now have link for freeware synths that are much bigger and better)
    B) Canal: set to 8 (to see pressed keys on midi keyboard)