Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

The dynamic taskbar feature in Windows 7?

MickoZ
2010-12-20
2013-05-21
  • MickoZ
    MickoZ
    2010-12-20

Hi, some months ago when I searched for the right software for my new windows 7 setup at home and job, I picked VirtuaWin as my preferred virtual desktop manager.  However there was a feature missing and it is the remembering of the order of tasks in the taskbar.  Actually the lack of this feature prevent me from really using this program, and I routinely re-check to see if that feature is finally put it, but it does not seem so.  Is this feature in a beta version?  Is there plan to add it soon?  I would really appreciate that feature!

• The taskbar was completely rewritten in Win7 and annoyingly MS have not published an API so currently we are a bit stuck. However we have become aware of one utility that clearly has got the kind of interface we need so its definitely possible and we are therefore hopeful this will eventually be added but we can't fix a date yet.

I suggest you create a feature request for this (see tracker menu) and monitor this, you will then be emailed if any progress is made.

• Update: we have been very kindly sent some code by RaMMicHaeL (see http://rammichael.com/) which shows how to extract the required information. So Win7 dynamic taskbar should be supported in the next version.

• MickoZ
    MickoZ
    2011-02-06

I don't usually like to beg, but will that new version be released soonly? :)  There are maybe other virtual desktop software, but back then, yours was the one I preferred the interface, so it will really come handy if you add support to remember order for Windows 7.  That is a major feature that is preventing me from using VirtuaWin.  Hope the new version is coming soon! :)

• I have a working version on Win7 64; do you have 64 or 32 bit? If 32 bit do you mind being the first one to test it?

• MickoZ
    MickoZ
    2011-02-11

Hi, I have a laptop with 64 bit at home and one with 32 bit at work.  I won't mind testing it if that can help.

• I have created Feature request 3178720 (https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3178720&group_id=39588&atid=526970) and to it I have attached a zip file with a test version which does work on 64bit (that is to say it works on my machine) and hopefully will work on 32bit. Please backup your exiting VirtuaWin.exe before copying this one into the same place.

It looks like windows 7 will reorder the taskbar buttons of tools pinned to the taskbar - buttons of non-pinned tools work fine.

Please let me know how you get on. If you have any problems please enable VirtuaWin event logging, restart VW, reproduce the issue and attach the log to this feature request.

Steve

• Bill Stewart
    Bill Stewart
    2011-02-14

Hi,

Thank you very much! I just tried it on Windows 7 x64 and can confirm it appears to work. Many thanks again!

Bill Stewart

• MickoZ
    MickoZ
    2011-02-14

Hi, this seem to work at first glance, thanks.  I will test it out this week and begin to use virtual desktop, if anything bad happen I will let you know.

Also
    1- If I choose the option "Always Show", how do I remove that constraint on the windows?  I have searched a couple minutes and have not found a way.  This should be doable, right?
    2- When I tried different virtual desktop manager sometime ago, I remember one was having a "right click on windows toolbar" and you had option to move to desktop X, etc.  Was this achievable via a plugin with VirtuaWin??? (your module page is non-accessible currently and I looked at google cache and see nothing that seem to do that, but maybe it is right under my eye).

• Its Win7 32bit I'm really interested in because I don't have that platform to test this on.

mickoz -

1 - If you click on a window in the 'Always show' column of the Window list VW will make it always shown, if you open the window list again, the icon to the left of the window will now be a 'tick' to indicate this and if you click on this window again it will remove this constraint (i.e. it is a toggle).
    2 - VirtuaWin has a window menu which can be opened via a hotkey or by middle clicking on a window's title bar (see Setup -> Mouse option or help on the Window menu). in that menu you will also find an 'Always show' item which works the same as the window list but the tick is a little more obvious. VirtuaWin does not splice itself into the right menu by design, hooking into Windows like this can be dangerous and we want the core to be solid - perhaps someone can create a small module to do this?

• Can someone please confirm whether this works on Win7 32bit…. Thanks.

• MickoZ
    MickoZ
    2011-02-21

bjasspa:
    1- Thanks for the answer.  I noticed the checkmarks for the Always Show, but I was having brain-damage and not really realizing it. ;-|
    2- As for the middle click to see the list of actions, that is great, maybe I saw it in the past (because I evaluated multiple virtual desktop and your had all the features except for Windows 7, but now it has it!)
    3- At job, I run Win7 32-bit and it seems to work.  If I have any problem, I will let you know.  Is your binary 32-bit anyway?  If so, I guess it will work on both without a problem.

I am gonna continue to use it, may I have any bug or if I have any idea to make it better, I will report. Thanks again! ;-)

• VW binary is 32bit but coded to support both 32bit and 64bit OSs - the method of extracting the button order from explorer is a bit of a backdoor hack which makes use of some offsets which as depended on the OS version - so I'm quite relieved this is working!

I've commit the code back now, the fix will be in the next VW release.

• MickoZ
    MickoZ
    2011-02-26

Yeah, if I understand right, the problem with that is that if the hack rely on the way the program is compiled, any update that would change that might break the feature.  Well for now, it works.  Maybe later Microsoft add an API that make it all more clean.
    Note: such hack was used in the past and I think influenced that Microsoft compile their program right.  That is also why some old program does not work well with compatibility mode, because they don't rely on API, etc.  But sometime that was the only way to achieve a result.

• MickoZ
    MickoZ
    2011-08-12

Hey, not to push you… but should not you release an official version?  If you need help let me know.  I ask because I am looking my Windows 7 recommended setup for someone who is fresh installing it and your software are in my base suggestion, so it would be nice if the default download had this feature and more.  If you need any help testing, I could help, but I am gonna be away 3-4 weeks.

• I'm trying to, been v. busy with other things - hope to build a new release soon.

• Richard Marsh
    Richard Marsh
    2011-11-23

Over the last year or so, I've been looking occasionally with hope at the VirtuaWin home page to see if a new release has come out. On each occasion I've left feeling more disheartened because it seemed that one of my favourite programs was destined to be left uninstalled, simply because of this one feature which prevented it from being a useful piece of software in Windows 7.

I'm a software developer and always have numerous windows open, so it would simply drive me mad to re-organise them all after each window switch. Today I dug a little deeper in the forum (ok it didn't take me long to be fair!) and discovered this fix, and I'm delighted to say it works flawlessly (x64)! So finally (after what seems like years, since I had a working version on XP) I can use this wonderful program again…THANK YOU :)

I would suggest putting a link to this new version from the home page though, I'm sure there's many more people who would benefit from the knowledge of the fix.

• jomcty
    jomcty
    2012-01-25

I've built an unofficial VirtuaWin v4.3 from the latest source code in CVS. If anyone is interested, send me a PM an  I can make it available to you.

So far, I've not encountered any issues, thanks bjasspa!