Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

List all Open Programs with Alt+Tab

Daniel
2012-03-18
2013-05-21
  • Daniel
    Daniel
    2012-03-18

When I press Alt+Tab, I am presented the Windows menu that has the open programs for the currently active VirtuaWin desktop. Is there any alt+tab equivalent that will list all open programs across all the virtual desktops?

• Johan Piculell
    Johan Piculell
    2012-03-18

Hi.
    Check the "Window List" section in the help. There are a few alternatives, but might not be exactly what you are looking for.
    Alt+tab is in my opinion something you try to get away from by using a virtual desktop manager.

Regards
    /Johan

• Alex
    Alex
    2012-09-19

I have to disagree: you are not Apple to dictate how things "should be in my opinion" and easily get away with….  ALT-TAB has been there for ages and people make good use of it. VirtualWin should instead offer an option to show all apps like dstein64 asks. This behavior is also got me frustrated right away to the point of shutting down the app.

• Johan Piculell
    Johan Piculell
    2012-09-19

Ok, sorry to upset you adelara ;)
    But my personal standpoint remains, I have maybe 40 windows open at work spread over 4 desktops and with VirtuaWin I alt+tab through say 10 instead of 40 which would be a pain, this is why I use such a software.
    Still, I totally agree that a behavior should not be forced upon a user which is why configurability is one of the main design philosophies of VirtuaWin. But this request is probably hard to achieve I'm afraid, it is Windows itself who decides that hidden windows should not show up in the alt+tab list.
    But if anyone else can fix this in some way I'm more than happy to bring it in.

• There is a way to override the alt-tab hotkey but doing it requires a low down dirty hack and as the primary requirement of VirtuaWin is stability (you really don't want VW blowing up and losing all your windows)  I have not even entertained the idea of doing this in VW - I let AutoHotKey do that!

See main FAQ and other posts for example AHK scripts - its free and easy to use.