Window management of apps started as admin

2011-10-25
2013-05-21
  • Ruediger Arp
    Ruediger Arp
    2011-10-25

Howdy,
    In Windows 7 pro, I work as an unpriviledged user but need to run some applications (e.g. Across) with admin rights. These application windows appear on all virtual desktops which I find highly annoying. When run as mortal user, the window rules I set up work as expected: The application window appears on one desktop only.
    Any idea how to persuade applications started as admin user (runas) behave normally?
    Thanks & cheers

• randomdrake
    randomdrake
    2012-04-18

Hello nilfilter;

I found that this problem was fixed by running VirtuaWin as Administrator.

I couldn't figure out why my terminal mintty(cygwin) windows weren't being managed. Then I saw your comment and realized they were running in Administrator mode.

Thanks for the tip and I hope this works for you.

-randomdrake

• Les Ferguson
    Les Ferguson
    2012-04-23

Thanks for posting this, I was investigating why VS2010 was sticky on all desktops too.
    Also, the window menu cannot be activated on an app that is running as admin.  Setting VirtuaWin to run as admin is the fix.

• Anonymous
    2012-12-04

I recently had the same problem.

I tried to run "VirtuaWin 4.4 portable" on Windows 8 (with UAC enabled) and each time I ran it, I got a UAC warning message asking me if I could trust VirtuaWin.

I tried to run it with Admin rights but it didn't work. Same problem.

I solved this "UAC warning annoyance" by using the freeware called "UAC bypass" :
    http://freeavvarea.r00t.la/UACPass-en

It allows you to create a special shortcut that won't display any UAC warning (even if you still have it enabled).