Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

How can I switch desktops with a mouse?

Ronald
2011-07-25
2013-05-21
  • Ronald
    Ronald
    2011-07-25

From the options in the Setup, I conclude that it seems to be possible to switch between desktops with the mouse. However I didn't find a documentation which would explain how this is done. Could somebody help me here?

• Johan Piculell
    Johan Piculell
    2011-07-26

There are several ways:
    - Right click on systray icon to bring up the "move to desktop" menu
    - Left click to bring up the window menu and directly go to any application
    - Enable mouse desktop changing in the Mouse setup tab, this way you can change desktop by going to the edge of the screen in the direction you want to change (with a lot of different options for allowing this)
    - Middle click on the systray icon to cycle through your desktops

• arad85
    arad85
    2011-07-26

I have a 5 button Microsoft Intellimouse. I have the left/right side buttons programmed to send a keystroke. I then map this keystroke to the commands: NAV: Move right/left. I have Virtuawin configured as a 3x1 wrapped desktop layout so 3 mouse clicks and I'm back to where I started.

• jomcty
    jomcty
    2011-07-28

I use AutoHotkey and the following AutoHotkey.ahk for VirtuaWin goodness (note the mouse-specific mappings):

#NoEnv                  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
    #NoTrayIcon             ; If you don't want a tray icon for this AutoHotkey program.
    #SingleInstance force   ; Skips the dialog box and replaces the old instance automatically
    Process, Priority, , AboveNormal    ; Run script at elevated priority
    #IfWinExist ahk_class VirtuaWinMainClass
      Rwin Up::PostMessage, 1070, 39, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; "NAV: Return to last desktop"
      AppsKey Up::PostMessage, 1070, 20, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; "UI: Open standard window list"
      #AppsKey Up::PostMessage, 1070, 19, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; "UI: Open compact window menu"
      ; Send VirtuaWin the "NAV: Return to last desktop" message in response to an Alt+` key combo
      ;!SC029 Up::PostMessage, 1070, 39, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; "NAV: Return to last desktop"
      ; Send VirtuaWin the "NAV: Return to last desktop" message in response to the "Small Thumb Mouse" button being clicked
      XButton2::PostMessage, 1070, 39, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ;  "NAV: Return to last desktop"
      ; Send VirtuaWin "Change to next/previous desktop" messages when "Small Thumb Mouse button"-WheelUp/Down scrolled.
      XButton2 & WheelUp::PostMessage, 1034, 1025, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Change to previous desktop
      XButton2 & WheelDown::PostMessage, 1034, 1026, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Change to next desktop
      ; Send VirtuaWin "Move window to next/previous desktop and follow" messages when "Large Thumb Mouse button"-WheelUp/Down scrolled.
      XButton1 & WheelUp::PostMessage, 1049, 0, -1025,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Move active window to previous desktop and follow
      XButton1 & WheelDown::PostMessage, 1049, 0, -1026,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Move active window to next desktop and follow
      ; Send VirtuaWin "Change to next/previous desktop" messages when LWin-WheelUp/Down scrolled.
      <#WheelUp::PostMessage, 1034, 1025, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Change to previous desktop
      <#WheelDown::PostMessage, 1034, 1026, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Change to next desktop
      ; Send VirtuaWin "Move window to next/previous desktop and follow" message in response to an Alt-Win-WheelUp/Down key combo
      !<#WheelUp::PostMessage, 1049, 0, -1025,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Move active window to previous desktop and follow
      !<#WheelDown::PostMessage, 1049, 0, -1026,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Move active window to next desktop and follow
      ; Send VirtuaWin "Change to desktop #" message in response to a Win-# key combo
      #1::PostMessage, 1034, 1, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Change to desktop #1
      #2::PostMessage, 1034, 2, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Change to desktop #2
      #3::PostMessage, 1034, 3, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Change to desktop #3
      #4::PostMessage, 1034, 4, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Change to desktop #4
      ; Send VirtuaWin "Move window to desktop # and follow" message in response to an Alt-Win-# key combo
      !#1::PostMessage, 1049, 0, -1,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Move active window to desktop #1 and follow
      !#2::PostMessage, 1049, 0, -2,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Move active window to desktop #2 and follow
      !#3::PostMessage, 1049, 0, -3,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Move active window to desktop #3 and follow
      !#4::PostMessage, 1049, 0, -4,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Move active window to desktop #4 and follow
      ; Send VirtuaWin "Change to next/previous desktop" messages when Win-Right/Left arrow keys are pressed.
      #Left::PostMessage, 1034, 1025, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Change to previous desktop
      #Right::PostMessage, 1034, 1026, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Change to next desktop
      ; [AHK_L] Remap dedicated Browser Back/Forward keys as previous/next desktop
      ;#If NOT WinActive("ahk_class IEFrame") and NOT WinActive("ahk_class MozillaUIWindowClass") and NOT WinActive("Chrome_WidgetWin_0")
        SC16A::PostMessage, 1034, 1025, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Change to previous desktop
        SC169::PostMessage, 1034, 1026, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Change to next desktop
      ;#If
      ; [AHK_L] Remap dedicated Multimedia Prev/Next track keys as previous/next desktop
      #If NOT WinActive("ahk_class MediaPlayerClassicW") and NOT WinActive("ahk_class QWidget") and NOT WinActive("ahk_class iTunes") and NOT WinActive("ahk_class WMPlayerApp")
        SC110::PostMessage, 1034, 1025, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Change to previous desktop
        SC119::PostMessage, 1034, 1026, 0,, VirtuaWinMainClass ; Change to next desktop
      #If

• jomcty
    jomcty
    2011-07-28

Left off the last line in the copy above:

#IfWinExist

• Ronald
    Ronald
    2011-09-23

Thanks for all the suggestions. I used the iconized solution.