moving windows between desktops

favna
2010-10-27
2013-05-21
  • favna
    favna
    2010-10-27

how do I move windows from desktop1 to desktop2? I tried alt-c-left  alt-w-right that kind of thing, and got nothing (except that in Chrome, alt-left seems to go back a page!)

• You need to define the hotkeys you want to use, see VirtuaWin's Setup -> Hotkeys tab (click on the Help button at the bottom for more help on defining hotkey and the commands available). You can also move a window by dragging it using  the mouse (See Setup -> Mouse tab) or by using VirtuaWin's Window Menu (see help on how to access this menu).

• Alex
    Alex
    2012-09-19

I'd like to know the answer to that… seems it should be an easy-intuitive-quite-common-operation but……

• Alex
    Alex
    2012-09-19

I can't make sense of it… should there be a hotkey to "move to desktop 1", 2, 3 and so on ???
    Perhaps this should be implemented in the "Desktop preview" instead: it looks like the perfect place to just drag a window to another desktop

• Johan Piculell
    Johan Piculell
    2012-09-20

You simply define the hot-keys you want. In the Help under UI->Setup dialog->hot keys you have all the possible combinations.
    Passing a window to another desktop is usually best done by middle click on the title bar and "move to desktop". And I'm not sure this was implemented when this question was originally brought up.
    Basically, there are several ways to move around windows, we don't want to be Apple and force people moving windows in only one way now, do we?

• Hrynkiw
    Hrynkiw
    2012-09-21

middle click on the title bar and "move to desktop"

Just installed VirtuaWin and this was my first question. Thank-you jopi, that's exactly the information I needed.

• Alex
    Alex
    2012-09-24

I'm not sure if I was clear… I have defined CTRL-ALT-arrows to navigate between desktops: that is working fine;

I want to move an application window to another desktop:

1) Suppose there is Notepad, Calculator and IE all showing on desktop #1
    2) I want to move calculator to desktop #2
    3) I tried middle click on the title bar (Calculator) does nothing - nothing pops
    4) I click on the little icon on the notification area, 3 columns pop:
       - switch to;
       - show;
       - always show;

They just serve to activate a window: I cannot drag/drop any of them … whichever desktop the application window is born, it stays there…
    This is a Windows 7 Enterprise, 64bits btw.

• Johan Piculell
    Johan Piculell
    2012-09-26

adelara, check you config in the Mouse setup, do you have "Enable middle button window menu activation" checked?
    The window menu you get can be used as well, go to desktop #2, open the menu and select Calculator in the "Move here" column. Or configure your mouse settings to allow dragging windows to another desktop, and just move it over to desk #2.
    Those are the three simplest ways of moving windows in my opinion.
    Or I just go to desk #2 and start Calculator there in the first place.