Virtuawin taking over when hitting ALT-F4

Eric Buist
2014-04-05
2014-07-06
  • Eric Buist
    Eric Buist
    2014-04-05

Hi,

I heavily rely on keyboard shortcuts for my daily computer use and any inconsistent response annoys me and leads me without any clear solution. Hitting ALT-F4 should close the current in-focus window or do nothing, but often, instead of closing the current window, it offers me to close VirtuaWin. There is no VirtuaWin window in focus, but I am nevertheless offered to close VirtuaWin. Often, no keyboard shortcut will allow to dismiss the window; I have to hit the No button with the mouse. Sometimes, ALT-N will work, sometimes not. This may be a Windows bug, maybe unrelated to VirtuaWin, but I would need to find some way, or a way to replace Virtuawin by something that would not do that or even better, allow to switch to given applications using hot keys.

Thanks for any help.

• Johan Piculell
    Johan Piculell
    2014-04-05

Hi Eric.
    I don't recognize this behavior at all, the only time I get the VirtuaWin exit dialogue is when there are no windows left on the desktop and hit ALT-F4. And keys always seem to work here when that dialogue is shown.
    What Windows version are you on? Did you configure any expert settings, or any other configuration that you think is not "mainstream"?

Regards
    /Johan

• Eric Buist
    Eric Buist
    2014-07-06

I am using Windows 8.1, but this problem also showed up in Windows 7. It seems worse in Windows 8.1, now almost happens each time I need to shuffle between more than two windows on a desktop. I more and more often get tired of it and just close Virtuawin.