New window popping up during switching desktop has ghost borders not disappearing

metatech
2013-10-16
2013-10-28
  • metatech
    metatech
    2013-10-16

Hello,

I have been using VirtuaWin for more than a year, and I cannot work productively without it anymore. I particularly appreciate the "compact window list" and the keyboard shortcuts and the rules to make an application "sticky" on a desktop.

I am a small problem though : when I use an application, which pops up a window/dialog, and at the same time I switch to another desktop, the window borders of the pop-up window stay visible, even after the window was closed. To make the ghost borders disappear, I need to restart Virtuawin and the application which initiated the pop-up.
    I typically have this problem several times a day with Task Coach.
    I can reproduce it with Opera 12.15 : start Opera, click on the "Opera" top-left button to make the main menu appear, and at the same time switch to another desktop, using a keyboard shortcut in my case.

Is anyone else having this problem ?

Thanks.
    metatech

• metatech
    metatech
    2013-10-21

In attachment, there is a screenshot of an example of this problem.

• metatech
    metatech
    2013-10-21

In attachment, there is screenshot of another example (with the Opera main menu).

• metatech
    metatech
    2013-10-28

Hello,
    Here is more information.
    I can reproduce it on Windows 7 64-bit and on Windows XP 32-bit.
    It is triggered by the existence of a window rule for the process.
    For instance, I create a rule :
    PN:*\opera.exe
    In the Opera main menu, I untick the option "Show Menu Bar", then click on the top-left Opera icon, and immediately after switch to another desktop with a keyboard shorcut.

When I tick the Virtuawin option "Window rule enabled", the problems happens, otherwise not.

• metatech
    metatech
    2013-10-28

When inspecting the windows using the "WinLister" program, I find a window with class name "SysShadow". If I choose the option "Close selected windows" of WinLister, the ghost window disappear, without restarting Virtuawin or the application which initiated the window.
    I tried to add a window rule in Virtuawin to avoid managing those windows, but it does not seem to work.