TurboVNC Unity problem

Help
Anonymous
2012-07-12
2013-11-26

• Anonymous
    2012-07-12

Hello,

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Desktop edition as my turbovnc server with virtualgl.

I have a problem concerning my window manager, some items are not being rendered correctly on the client side such as the title bars of applications.

I think it might be because of Unity that uses Compiz that uses OpenGL to render some elements.

So my question is that TurboVNC can only use window managers that do not use openGL at all to render cerain elements ? Is there any workaround around this with VirtualGL for example ?

If not how can I set the session the vnc to default to Unity-2d, I can't tell how to make it choose this by default, I have noticed that it tdefaults to the system default (Unity 3d).

Thank you for your time

• DRC
    DRC
    2012-07-12

This is apparently not just a TurboVNC problem.  It occurs with TigerVNC and RealVNC as well.  Adding the following to the top of ~/.vnc/xstartup.turbovnc:

if ; then
      for SESSION in "ubuntu-2d" "2d-gnome"; do
        if ; then
          DESKTOP_SESSION=$SESSION; export DESKTOP_SESSION
          GDMSESSION=$SESSION; export GDMSESSION
          STARTUP="/usr/bin/gnome-session -session=$SESSION"; export STARTUP
        fi
      done
    fi

should fix it, and I have checked in a patch to trunk and the 1.1 stable branch that causes this to be added automatically whenever xstartup.turbovnc is created for the first time.

Note, however, that fixing this exposed a bug in the way TurboVNC 1.1 is rendering the titlebars of some windows.  1.0.2 doesn't seem to exhibit that issue, so it's apparently a regression.  I will have to look into it.

• Anonymous
    2012-07-17

Thank you very much, that did the trick.

I was wondering if there is any way to get TurboVNC running with gnome-shell ?

Or is it only for 2d window managers like unity2d or gnome classic ? Is there any workaround around that ?

It seems to be working with gnome classic and unity 2d.

• DRC
    DRC
    2012-07-17

You could try running the 3D window managers in VirtualGL.  I know for a fact that compiz doesn't work that way, but I have no idea about Unity 3D or GnomeShell.  If they don't work, I am not equipped to provide any support on that configuration, so apart from saying "hmmm… interesting" to any reports you want to share regarding your findings, there's little else I'll be able to do at the moment unless some organization wants to step forward and fund the project to get the 3D WM's working.  Currently, all of the VirtualGL Project sponsors (i.e. the paying customers) are using Red Hat.

• Anonymous
    2012-07-18

Thank you for your response. It was more of a preference.

I tried but with no luck. It just made my window manager dissapear, I was using gnome classic and then I only had the background.

Both with gnome-shell and unity3d.