Menu

Ubuntu Nvidia Installation

Help
Jon Wong
2012-06-13
2013-11-26
  • Jon Wong

Jon Wong - 2012-06-13

I am running Ubuntu 11.10 with a Nvidia CUDA developer driver installed. I can run 3D applications direction from display:0.  I used to be able to use vglrun to run 3D applications but it hasn't worked for awhile (Ubuntu 9.04?) and I'd like to get it running again. I used to run Turbovnc and then run vglrun within the turbovnc display.

I've tried using vglserver_config in the past, but I don't really think I understand what's going on with the configuration and it doesn't seem to work. Currently I've just run dpkg -i on the newest turbovnc and virtualgl .deb packages.

Here is some output from the terminal within the display. Any advice and hints on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. :

c@b:~/Desktop$ vglrun glxgears
    Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key ERROR: Could not open display :0.
    c@b:~/Desktop$ xhost +
    access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
    c@b:~/Desktop$ vglrun glxgears
    Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key ERROR: Could not open display :0.
    c@b:~/Desktop$ echo $DISPLAY
    :2.0
    c@b:~/Desktop$ echo $VGL_DISPLAY

c@b:~/Desktop$ vglrun -d :2 glxgears
    Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":2".
    Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
    c@b:~/Desktop$ vglrun -d :2.0 glxgears
    Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":2.0".
    Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
    c@b:~/Desktop$ vglrun -d :2 /opt/VirtualGL/bin/glxinfo
    name of display: :2.0
    Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig

ERROR: in glXGetConfig-
        908: Could not obtain Pbuffer-capable RGB visual on the server

• DRC

DRC - 2012-06-13

For starters, read the manual.

You are misunderstanding a couple of key elements of how VirtualGL works.  VGL_DISPLAY points to the 3D X Server, which is almost always :0, so the default value of :0 should not be overridden in your case (you are overriding it when you use 'vglrun -d'.)  DISPLAY points to the 2D X Server, where the final pixels will end up.

The basic problem you're trying to solve is that you don't have appropriate permissions to the 3D X Server.  Running 'xhost +' as you did above does nothing to solve that.  All you did with that step is to open up permissions to the 2D X Server.  vglserver_config is what opens up permissions to the 3D X Server.

If you have followed all of the instructions for running vglserver_config from the VirtualGL User's Guide and are still having trouble, then let me know, but it has been tested on the latest Ubuntu releases, and there are no known issues.