Can't get started - New User

Ronnie Foy
2008-03-16
2013-05-20
  • Ronnie Foy
    Ronnie Foy
    2008-03-16

Downloaded Virtual Dimension - all I got was the executable - was hoping for more. I can't locate any documentation (like a help file, or read me or something - anything). I installed the software but am completely at a lose at how to use it. I see one little window in the upper left hand corner which shows the current windows. I can see how I would set hot keys within that desktop - looks cool. What I don't see is very basic. How do I start another desktop? Where can I find some documentation? Any help would be deeply appreciated. I'm sure that if I had some UNIX experience this would be obvious but I don't. Please Help.

• Martin Egholm
      Martin Egholm
      2008-03-17

Hi there,

You don't "start another desktop", as such. You need predefine which workspaces you want, and then change between these...

To add more:
      Close all programs! Right click in the "little window" (there must be no applications running!) -> Configure -> Desktops -> Insert
      then add so many as you want...

On each deskop in that list, click "Configure", and assign a dedicated Hotkey, if you want to be able to jump directly - e.g. WIN+1 for desktop 1, and so on...

Next, you wanna set the transparency level in Display to something like 150 - makes it look good.
      And in Desktops, set the columns to 1.

This was the basic. So, click OK, and right click the desktop-preview-window again, and deselect "Show the caption" - that's just plain ugly! Finally, resize like a normal window, and move into a good corner - lower right has worked for me!

I think that was it...
      Feel free to ask some more!

// Egholm

• Ronnie Foy
      Ronnie Foy
      2008-03-17

Thanks a lot. I printed your reply out and I'll try to work on it today. I sure appreciate the offer of future help, I got a feeling I'm gonna need it.

• Ronnie Foy
      Ronnie Foy
      2008-03-20

I tried what you said. Worked fine. Got 3 different desktops. However, I expected the desktop background to stay with a particular desktop but when I change the background in one desktop it changes in all desktops. I thought the background was supposed to follow the desktop. Did do something wrong?

• Martin Egholm
        Martin Egholm
        2008-03-20

That was the idea, yes. But I seem to recall having trouble doing this, as well...

Try disabling Active Desktop - that may do the trick :-)

// Egholm

• Ronnie Foy
      Ronnie Foy
      2008-03-21

Ok -- assuming I can figure out how to disable an active desktop. BTW - hows cum there ain't no users guide for dummies like me?

• Martin Egholm
        Martin Egholm
        2008-03-21

Hum, somewhere in Control Panel -> Display (I reckon)...

Documentation: Don't know - but feel free to submit a FAQ with your questions and answers - that way there will be some :-D
        I guess the people trying this application has prior knowledge on multiple desktops and their force. But still, yes...

// Egholm

• Ronnie Foy
      Ronnie Foy
      2008-03-23

Well I didn't figure out how to get a desktop disabled but guess what? Right on the same panel where you set your hotkey there is a field for wall paper. So I used that and can jump back and forth between desktops and the background (wallpaper) changes -- so I'm a happy camper.
      Now -- another question. I'd like to get a fresh start with my desktops. How do I make them all go away -- like as if I was just starting out?(I guess I can uninstall and reinstall but I figure you probably know an easier way. Thanks for all your help - I know I'm a nuisance so you're very kind to help.

• Martin Egholm
        Martin Egholm
        2008-03-23

I guess that if you shut down Virtual Dimension, launch regedit.exe, and find and delete the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Typz Software

that should do it...

// Egholm

• Ronnie Foy
      Ronnie Foy
      2008-03-24

That seems pretty drastic - I've never messed with the registry. How about if I delete the .exe file and then download it again?

• Martin Egholm
        Martin Egholm
        2008-03-24

No! :-/
        But maybe uninstalling will do it - or maybe Typz keeps the registry information even then... Can't say!
        But messing with registry is nothing, when you know what to do - "it cannot go wrong" (famous last words :-))

// Egholm

• Ronnie Foy
      Ronnie Foy
      2008-03-25

I looked at the add/remove panel and Virtual Dimension doesn't show up there so how do I go about uninstalling it?

• Martin Egholm
        Martin Egholm
        2008-03-25

Oh, that I don't know, then...
        I would go with the simple regedit operation, then.

// Egholm

• Ronnie Foy
      Ronnie Foy
      2008-03-26

OK -- I have 4 desktops and I wanted to start over and redefine everything so I took your advice. I used a tool called regseeker to find the key and deleted it. Brought dimension back up - no change. Sooo -- I used regedit, deleted the entire key - brought back up -- no change. Soo -- I used regedit again, this time just deleted the keys for 2 of the desktops. Brought back up - no change (still have 4 desktops). Any ideas?

• Martin Egholm
        Martin Egholm
        2008-03-26

Really, strange!

Did you shut down virt-dimension _before_ deleting?

// Egholm

• Ronnie Foy
      Ronnie Foy
      2008-03-27

I used the red x in the top of the box to close the desktops. -- What I found was that indeed Virtual Dimension comes with it's very own little unistall program, so I ran that this morning. Then I brought up regedit and discovered that the uninstall didn't get rid of the keys so I deleted them. So tomorrow I'll try to reinstall and see if I can get a fresh start. I'll let you know.

• Ronnie Foy
      Ronnie Foy
      2008-04-01

Just to let you know. That worked - uininstall then renove keys, reinstall. Got desktops I wanted with different wallpaper. All is goodness and light. Thanks for all your help.

• Martin Egholm
        Martin Egholm
        2008-04-03

Good for you!
        Happy usage :-)