Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Windows wo "icon" appear on all desktops

2007-06-24
2013-05-20
  • Martin Egholm
    Martin Egholm
    2007-06-24

Hi Typz,

One of my favorite applications is Singer's Creations post-it application "StickIt" (http://www.singerscreations.com/AboutStickIt.asp). However, the post-it's insist of showing up on all desktops - why is that? Are they of such a different type that you have no control of them?

This goes for every post-it application I've tried...

// Egholm

• Indeed, post-its are quite different type of windows, and are thus ignored by Virtual Dimension. Similarly, there is no taskbar icon for these window...

• Martin Egholm
        Martin Egholm
        2007-06-25

Are they ignored deliberately?

• This type of windows is ignored deliberatly, as it is also used for all types of tool windows: floating tool panel, toolbar, secondary frame....
          And generally, it corresponds to windows which are relatively small, and thus do not obscur the whole desktop.

• Martin Egholm
            Martin Egholm
            2007-06-26

Oh, I see...
            But in which case do you actually want those windows to stick to all desktops?

Now I think of it, I have the same problem with a lot of applications:
            * Google's Picasa - when scanning/saving images, the progress bar follows along on all desktop...
            * Std. File open/save dialogs
            * Every modal window

I think they should stay on their respective desktop - along with their context - or?

BR,
            Egholm

• tomten
              tomten
              2007-06-26

I think windows should stay on their respective desktops unless you explicitly tell them not to, but this is just because I like to treat "virtual desktops" as "workspaces".

• There are mainly two reasons for this:
              - These window do not appear in task list, nor taskbar.... thus, they are not 'regular' applications, and it's very difficult to distguish them from all other windows (and there are actually lots of them....)
              - Many of these are actually related to some other window.... which should (and usually does) hide them when it is itself hidden...

• Martin Egholm
                Martin Egholm
                2007-06-30

I didn't quite follow the first argument, sorry.
                But you're kinda right in the second argument - indeed many applications do hide their modal dialogs when hiding themselves. But that's exactly the point, "many" does, but surely not all. Hence, we can discuss from now until New Year, who's responsible for aiding the remainder applications to this behavior... Since virt-dim knows when these are surely not wanted displayed (on another desktop), it could assist them :-)

• Martin Egholm
      Martin Egholm
      2007-06-26

Exactly my point. And exactly my (everybody's?) desktop usage, as well... And I would like to dedicate one desktop to my post-its - instead of my physical desk...

But, I reckon there is a reason Typz has made like so - or maybe there is not :-)