Viking is a free/open source program to manage GPS data.
You can import, export and plot tracks, routes and waypoints, show various OpenStreetMap, Bing Aerial and other maps in it, create maps using Mapnik (http://www.mapnik.org).
Download Wikipedia points, OSM Traces or Your Personal OSM Traces for an area on the map.
Make new tracks, routes and waypoints and geotag images.
See real-time GPS position (but not on Windows as no GPSD support on this platform).
And much, much more... If you're having a hard time visualizing it: check out the [Screenshots], screencasts and then download it to try it out.
It is written in C with the GTK+ 2 toolkit, available for Linux, other POSIX operating systems, and Windows, and is licensed under the GNU GPLv2+.
Latest Release (Recommended + Supported)
2015-03-29: Latest Release Version 1.6
Executive Summary of Changes in 1.6
- Mapnik Rendering Layer (not available in Windows build ATM) - with preprocessor CartoCSS option.
- Export files via GPSBabel
- History of positions enabling jumping back (and forwards) to previous locations - similar to web browser back (and forward) buttons.
- Extended GPSBabel filtering support - Enables limited/simple OSM Overpass API support.
- Support reading of MBTiles files.
- Support reading of OSM Metatiles.
- Configurable Toolbar + Menu keys
- Various time related features: Edit trackpoint and waypoint times, Quick search of tracks by date, Sort layers by time and more.
- Improved route finder UI usage
- GeoJSON support via external programs 'togpx' and 'togeojson' (Not available in Windows build ATM)
- New default Map Cache layout to be more compatible with standard OSM/TMS structure.
- Support GPX Metadata values common to GPX1.0 and GPX1.1
- Extended map type configuration options (zoom levels + area extents limits)
- Allow starting Viking with command line parameters to set position, zoom and map type.
- Export Track, Route and Waypoint Lists as text.
Older Release (no longer supported)
- 2010-12-14: Latest Revision Version-1.0.2
- 2010-11-17: The Viking team is proud to announce the 1st stable release [Version-1.0] after 7 years of work by many contributors.
Currently to edit this Wiki you need permission - contact the Viking mailing list with your SourceForge login ID requesting "editor" status. Then one can login to the Wiki site with your SourceForge ID to make changes.
TODO / Ideas
- Terraserver support is removed since this service is no longer operational.