Menu

Picture in Picture filter

Steve
2013-08-10
2014-11-06
  • Steve

Steve - 2013-08-10

I am wanting to use the Picture in Picture filter in my application and am struggling to configure it. I would like to use it as a source switch filter, so it either displays Input 0 or Input 1 fullscreen.

I have been trying to configure it via the property pages using GraphStudioNext and changing the config doesn't seem to have any effect. I have tried disconnecting all the inputs/outputs prior to configuring it, but I keep getting a PIP window with a width approx 352x288 near the bottom left corner.

I think the following settings are what I need, but the don't seem to take effect:

Position: Left Bottom
    Target Width: 720
    Target Height: 576
    Subpicture Width: 720
    Subpicture Height: 576

Offset x:0
    Offset y:0

Can someone please point me in a direction or at least tell me if it is my fault or something to do with the filter.

Many thanks in advance!

• Ralf Globisch

Ralf Globisch - 2013-08-13

Firstly, I wouldn't recommend using the picture in picture filter as a starting point.
    I'm not sure what issue you are having with the PIP filter, but I think a better approach might be using the VideoMixingFilter as a starting point:

Inherit from the CMultiIOBaseFilter to get a filter with 2 inputs and one output pin.
    Store which input is currently active and then forward the active stream to the output pin instead of mixing the images.

You might have to play around a bit to get the synchronisation right.

• Dalman

Dalman - 2014-09-25

Hello Ralf, I am a new user but I was sorry to see that you deflected this question away from the PiP filter. I am actually trying to use it for it's intended purpose as a PiP filter, not as a switch, and am experiencing the same issue with not being able to get any of the settings in the property page to have any effect. I would like to be able to set the PiP inset size and offset, which I have only tried with the property page, not programmatically. My overlay video stays locked in the lower left corner and is about 20% of the overall image. Is there a bug, or am I using it incorrectly?

• Ralf Globisch

Ralf Globisch - 2014-09-30

Hi Dalman, just had a quick look and its definitely a bug.
    I should get a chance to look at it early next week.

If I don't get back to you, please ping me...

• Ralf Globisch

Ralf Globisch - 2014-10-09

Dalman, the bug should be fixed in the source now. Unfortunately I don't have a version of VS to create an updated installer at the moment (I'm using the express edition), but if you're able to build from source please update and give it a try. PIP size and offset can be configured on the fly now i.e. even while the video is playing.

• Dalman

Dalman - 2014-11-04

Hi Ralf,

I just downloaded the source, hope to be able to compile and test this week, and will let you know the results. I'm not sure exactly how to set up the project in VS2010, so any help with configuring the project would be helpful. THANK YOU so much for responding, and for looking into the code!

Last edit: Dalman 2014-11-04
  • Ralf Globisch

Ralf Globisch - 2014-11-05

Ok, great. Shout if you need help.

Alternatively, I could make a binary available as well. I can't do installers any more as I've now moved to the express edition of VS.
    However, I could also add an archive with all the pre-built filters if that makes it easier.

• Dalman

Dalman - 2014-11-06

I ran into a little trouble with missing amextra.cpp when I tried cmake. This is all new for me, and as much as I'd like to learn to build the binaries, it would be greatly appreciated if you would post pre-built filters. The installer is not so important (for me), as I do know how to handle/register individual filters. Thanks again Ralf - It is very kind of you to make these cool filters available to the rest of us!!!

• Ralf Globisch

Ralf Globisch - 2014-11-06

Dalman, there is a new release (1.2.0) which contains all pre-built filters as well as batch scripts for registration/deregistration. Please check if that works for you and let me know if there are any issues.

And thanks for the feedback :-)

Last edit: Ralf Globisch 2014-11-06
  • Dalman

Dalman - 2014-11-06

Man Ralf, You are super! I will check it out now and let you know.