Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Other file types?

Macz
2004-11-22
2013-04-24
  • Macz
    Macz
    2004-11-22

Are there any plans to add other file types (PDF in particular) to the list of indexable objects?

• Alex
      Alex
      2004-11-24

Yes. There are plans to borrow or merge indexing and search routines from another Lucene project with a compatible license (Apache, LGPL, or some others).

There are dozens (if not hundreds) of implementations (typically JSP/web based) that fit the bill.

The focus of Vicaya (and what makes it unique) is performing a search on local media (harddrive and/or cdrom) with no installation on all major platforms.

Further criteria for a cooperative project include XML, HTML,  UTF-8 Unicode, and perhaps charset conversion. I see no reason why PDF's would not come for the ride.

• olbeggaols
        olbeggaols
        2004-11-24

What 'file type' are these 'e-books'? This is a format that is much used on Buddhist sites and if it is not PDF should be on the To Do list.

Next we want search of audio (MP3) files!

• Hugo Gayosso
          Hugo Gayosso
          2004-11-26

> What 'file type' are these 'e-books'? This is a format that is much used on Buddhist sites and if it is not PDF should be on the To Do list.

In all the websites where I have looked when I click on those "e-books" they are PDF files, but if there are some that aren't PDF, then I agree, we should think about those.

The only other types I have seen are in Buddhanet.net where they have a couple of formats for PDA's, I think one is called Tomb.