Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Jones in the fast lane Musik but no voice

Help
ssalbach
2006-10-02
2013-04-11
  • ssalbach
    ssalbach
    2006-10-02

Hallo,
    I want to play "Jones in the fast Lane" i have the CD version with voice.
    When I start it, with your tool, the Music is fine, but it says Hardware detection error, so he can not play voices  :-(
    Have anybody an idea for this?

• Red Goblin
      Red Goblin
      2006-10-03

Hello yourself and hmm!

Maybe you know the old joke (about asking for directions) in which the country bumpkin replies, "Well, if I were you, I wouldn't start from here." My point is that what you describe is probably no fault of VDMS per se and that you may therefore get more and better response on a broader and more active forum such as VOGONS. Nevertheless, as you're here, I'll happily give it a shot.

Now, I know very little about JitFL except that it wants Windows 3.1 rather than plain DOS (the D in VDMS). But, before I make my suggestions on that score, please let me draw your attention to Colin Snover's particularly telling comments about the JitFL CD in this VOGONS thread ...
      http://www.vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=593

So, finally, to my tips which (for want of a better answer and in priority order) are :-
      * Help experts to help you by specifying (without needing to be asked) things like :-
      + Hardware (speed is often an issue for games)
      + Relevant software versions (OS etc)
      + VDMS launcher tweaks/variations
      + Verbatim error message(s)
      * Given that it was almost next in line to Win3.1 (via Win3.11WG), try Win95 compatibility mode instead of VDMS (M$ Application Compatibility Toolkit adds this to Win2k and immensely benefits WinXP gamers too BTW)
      * For more authenticity (plus whacky points), it might be possible to install genuine Win3.x under VDMS (I have both Win3.1 & Win3.11WG installation disk sets if wanted and not otherwise available)