Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Curious: Why no 95/98/ME ?

Frank L.
2008-03-26
2013-04-11
  • Frank L.
    Frank L.
    2008-03-26

I'm actually running 98se, and it's funny that I found this project because I have been spending the past few days wondering how I could get my old DOS games to sound like they used to back in the day, until I finally thought of creating some form of software, and registering a virtual device with Windows that could relay all MIDI messages to this software, which would in turn emulate a legacy SB card with digitized sound and FM and spit it through whatever the real sound device was installed on the machine. I figured, if things like MilkyTracker and FamiTracker could run smoothly in realtime, why couldn't a softsynth be written and used as an actual system device?  Seeing as how VDMSound is under the GPL, maybe I could do some poking around?

Now, Vlad ROMASCANU (I realize the post is 6 years old now... haha) about your reference to SB emulation on an AC97, that's EXACTLY what I have, but do you mean when a DOS program makes calls to an SB card, the AC97 will interpret them into its own crappy wavetable? My whole goal is to bring back FM synthesis on my machine without replacing my sound hardware, and since my card doesn't have an FM chip on it, I was hoping the solution might come through in the software.

Anyhoo, I'll mess around, and report back with what I can come up with. Later!