Impressive

Help
2009-09-13
2013-02-18
  • David Lawler
    David Lawler
    2009-09-13

This is amazing.  I've used cygwin/X and XMing.  I've even messed around and gotten XMing to cross compile a LONG time ago…but this makes compiling and running an Xserver on Windows pretty easy.  Thanks very much!  My impression is that the sources have very few patches/modifictions and that your biggest effort is mhmake?  I'm curious why you wrote that instead of using an existing gnu make for windows.  Also I found that you have to make the root directory have no spaces for building to work (can't put it in My Documents).  Lastly, what kind of effort do you think would be required to support hardware opengl or Mesa?

Again…..great job!

• marha
    marha
    2009-09-14

The main reason why I use mhmake is the recursive make is a lot faster (by making use of load_makfile) and it has rule checking across makefiles.

It is indeed a restriction of mhmake that there can be no spaces in the path names.

I did not have a look at opengl or mesa yet, so I have no idee how much effort it will be.

• marha
    marha
    2009-10-15

In version 1.7.0.1 support for opengl has been added.

• David Lawler
    David Lawler
    2009-10-16

Wow….I am impressed!  I have already installed it….now I plan to grab the sources and (maybe) see how you did that (adding opengl support)!  I have messed with the Xserver sources before and always ended up very confused at how to configure and compile things properly.  I'm guessing that you have a lot of experience with the Xorg sources?

Thanks for the project!

David

PS: Now if only someone would make a native rsync for windows (no that is NOT a request), I could stay away from cygwin (using putty and your xserver).  On the other hand cygwin seems to be much improved anyway!