Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Multiple connections possible

Help
Stefan
2011-07-29
2013-05-30
  • Stefan
    Stefan
    2011-07-29

Hi,

i am new to this. Fist of all i want to say that the usbip project is very great.

Now to my question:

I have a Seagate Dockstar running with Debian Squeeze. There is an usb hard drive and a printer connected to the dockstar.
    The usb hard drive is shared via smb and the printer should be shared via usbip to clients. The clients are two Windows 7 based computers running with usbip windows client driver 0.2.0.0. Now i want to share the printer between the two Windows 7 clients. All is fine when i try to use one client only. But when i trty to connect the second windows 7 client pc i could not get a connection. The usb client shows me this:

c:\Program Files (x86)\usbip>usbip -a 192.168.178.254 1-1.3
    request failed at peer, 1
    usbip err: usbip_windows.c: 712 (query_import_device) recv op_common
    usbip err: usbip_windows.c: 840 (attach_device) query

Is it possbile to connect two or more clients to one usb device on the usbip server?

Thanks

StefanV3

• Arjan Mels
    Arjan Mels
    2011-08-07

No, 1 usb device = 1 client. Printer sharing will not work (unless you diconnect the 1st client first and only then connect the second client.

• Stefan
    Stefan
    2011-08-07

Hi,

ahh OK. I red some topics here in forum and red a few thigs about the new windows client wuth GUI.

Will this new clenit have dynamic connection to the device? I mean when you have a printer attached to usb server
    and you will print the client automatically recognize that there is a printing job and connects the device, pirnts and disconnect the device.

Thanks

StefanV3

• Daniel
    Daniel
    2011-10-18

Could it be possible to achieve almost simultaneous connection by switching very quickly between the clients?

I ask this because I've seen a commercial software that can share a USB protection dongle remotely:
    http://www.usb-over-network.com/usbnet-case-studies/dongle.html

But it only shares the dongle with just one computer client.

It would be much better  to share a single dongle with multiple clients.

Could it be possible to do this by maintaing a buffer of recent connections and switching very quickly between them to avoid a time out?

Regards.

• I've got this running on my Proxmox server and the ability to connect multiple clients to a device would help immensely.  Does anyone know if this is possible or better yet being worked on?