New Major Release of USARSim (Unified System

• The USARSim developer’s group is pleased to announce the release of USARSim for UDK (Unreal Development Kit). This now makes USARSim completely free for education and non-commercial use (note 1). In addition, several new platforms and tools are included in this release.

What does this mean for users of USARSim?
    - The API (application programmers interface) remains fully backwards compliant (note 2).
    - All UT3 robots and sensors have been ported to the UDK release. New robots have also been added!
    - All UT3 tools work with the UDK release. Several improved tools have been added.
    o A new, easier to use user interface now exists. This tool is called Iridium and is included in the releases “tools” directory.
    o The world generator has been totally rewritten.
    - Physics now works correctly! If you find bugs, please report them.
    - RoboCup 2012 will utilize the UDK release!

I hope that you will agree with me that this is a significant step forward in our efforts to provide the community with a high-quality, easy to use, and free simulation engine. I must report that as of this mailing, the core development group will no longer support USARSim for UT3. We will not fix any bugs or make any additions. All users who post questions relating specifically to UT3 will be directed to switch to the UDK release.

Obtaining the UDK release:
    Complete instructions on obtaining and installing the release may be found at the new USARSim wiki ( USARSim for UDK utilizes a GIT repository. To have the latest code, it is advised that you install from the GIT repository. As has been past practice, you may also download the code base from the files area of the USARSim website (

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the developers that have made this port and release possible. I would also like to ask that if you have not yet contributed your work to a USARSim release, then you do so! Even if you do not wish to contribute, please take a moment and write a positive review for our website. It is as easy as clicking on the following link:

The USARSim Team

Note 1: Please see for complete licensing information on the engine.
    Note 2: The use of mission packages (MISPKG) will be deprecated. The new terminology for this will be actuator (ACT). For now, MISPKG and ACT are interchangeable.

• mrgreybrown

could you please state the "improved tools & new robots" in a more explicit release note?

Thanks a lot :)

• Behzad Samadi
    Behzad Samadi

How about importing maps from UT2004 and UT3 to UDK?

• Are you volunteering? The main issue is that the textures and meshes are different.