Olimex ARM-USB-OCD-H cant connect to USB dev

wuntee
2012-07-02
2013-05-28
  • wuntee
    wuntee
    2012-07-02

When attempting to connect to my Olimex ARM-USB-OCD-H I receive the following error.

jtag> cable ARM-USB-OCD
    Couldn't connect to suitable USB device.
    Error: Cable connection failed!

the default details for the ARM-USB-OCD are the same for the other Olimex cable

jtag> cable ARM-USB-OCD help
    Usage: cable ARM-USB-OCD   

VID        vendor ID (hex), defaults to 15BA
    PID        product ID (hex), defaults to 0003
    DESC       Some string to match in description or serial no.
    DRIVER     usbconn driver, either ftdi-mpsse or ftd2xx-mpsse
               defaults to ftd2xx-mpsse if not specified

And I can see that the cable seems to be connecting properly:

usb 3-2: new full-speed USB device number 4 using uhci_hcd
    usb 3-2: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
    usb 3-2: Ignoring serial port reserved for JTAG
    ftdi_sio 3-2:1.1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
    usb 3-2: Detected FT2232H
    usb 3-2: Number of endpoints 2
    usb 3-2: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64
    usb 3-2: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
    usb 3-2: Setting MaxPacketSize 64
    usb 3-2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

Is there any other debug messages I can see as to why the cable is not being recognized with urjtag? 

• Anonymous
    2012-07-18

Use lsusb to determine the VID/PID of the device.  I have an Olime 2232H that I use.  However, you need to note that the "H" version of the device DOES have some different setup that it appears that UrJTAG doesn't support fully.  I have a 2232D device as well (one that we built in house), that has no trouble detecting a device (it was a PXA930, so I didn't have a BSDL file, but needed to determine the IR length), but if I try to use the 2232H, I get problems (probably related to clock frequency).  I also have a 4232H device.  This is another issue because there are TWO jtag ports available there, but I believe UrJTAG is only geared to talk to the A port  and no others.  At any rate, I'm looking it over now to see if I can determine why I can't use the 2232H and the 4232H as replacements for the 2232D.  MOST of the libmpsse commands should be the same.  There are at least 2 the 2232D doesn't support related to adaptive clocking.  At any rate, the 4232H has a different Vid/Pid and Description.  So you might try modifying those on the cable line.  Or at least checking that you really have what you think you have (lsusb is invaluable here).