Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

UPX on pocket pc

Rob
2006-06-29
2013-05-23
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Rob
    Rob
    2006-06-29

I know that arm files can be compressed now. This is so great.

I'm wondering if there is a way we can execute upx or a version of upx on the device itself, then choose the file(s) we want to compress, rather then having to copy them to the desktop, compress them, then copy them back?

• I've never tried that. I guess it could be quite painful to use it on wince, because of the command line interface. But I may give it a try when I have some time.

Laszlo

• Rob
      Rob
      2006-07-02

That would be awesome and open up even more of an oppertunity for you. or for us :)

i was thinking, if you could at least port the command line code over; someone else with more time could write a wrapper for it that, say, you open, pick a directory and check off all compressible files and say compress all (with options usually found in the command line of course) then their app would just loop through as if i were typing upx *.*

• H. Berger
      H. Berger
      2006-07-03

This will be a new milestone for Pocket PC if this is possible.

Cannot wait longer.

Really great !

• Hal Rottenberg
      Hal Rottenberg
      2006-07-12

I'd love to see this as well.  Space is a premium on PDAs!

• Okay, here is a development snapshot of UPX compiled for arm-wince. Warning: there is no GUI!!

http://upx.sourceforge.net/download/unstable/upx-arm-wince-060714.exe

Please note, that this version of UPX is a development version. Most of the supported file formats are broken!! Hopefully arm/pe is not one of them ;-)

Laszlo

• Roy Tam
        Roy Tam
        2006-07-26

This build won't compress minimo.exe anymore.
        and it doesn't use the existing console window if Pocket Console/PocketPC Command Shell is installed.

• AnnaWu
      AnnaWu
      2006-07-18

Great Job, László :)

Regards,

CharlyV
      SK Software

• mirskym
      mirskym
      2006-07-23

How do you execute this exe?  I tried creating a shortcut with it as the app and another exe as the argument, but nothing happened.

• Hal Rottenberg
      Hal Rottenberg
      2006-07-23

Check it out everyone, somebody coded a PPC GUI!

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-download-upx4ppc.html

• tjlabais
        tjlabais
        2006-11-16

I tried this one. HOWEVER, the executable looses the icon.

• mirskym
      mirskym
      2006-07-23

Woohoo!!!  It does the job!!

• Well, this build is just a hack. I have no idea how the console stuff should work. I've used a gcc based cross compiler with some posix helper library. I was happy when it compiled and compressed a test file.

If anyone wants more than that, well contribution is welcome.

About minimo. I'm not sure what you mean by "won't compress anymore", as this is the first build for wince ;-) My guess is that upx run out of memory, as this minimo is quite large. Unfortunately the error message is invisible without a console :-/ Sigh.

L

• mirskym
      mirskym
      2006-09-11

The build posted by Laszlo on July 17 seems to have disappeared.  (I get a 404 file not found)

Where is the most recent version?

• Someone has renamed the file.

http://upx.sourceforge.net/download/unstable/upx-arm-wince-20060714.exe

Does anyone want to work on arm/pe console support?

L

• c_shekhar
      c_shekhar
      2006-11-01

I find an amusing observation while compressing ppt.exe (powerpoint application).
      1. When I compress it without any filter i.e. upx -9 ppt.exe the compressed file does not work.

2. When I compress it with upx -9 --strip-relocs=0 then it works but icons are missing.

3. When I compress it with upx -9 --compress-icons=0 then Icons appear but application does not work.

4. When I compress it with upx -9 --strip-relocs=0 ==compress-icons=0 then It works but still Icons dont apprear??

So the functionality and icons have become mutually exclusive .

...Any suggestions???????

• Hi,

I'll try to look at this soon.

L

• Is '==compress-icons=0' a typo only here? Unfortunately I do not have ppt.exe and its dlls on my device, so currently I'm unable to reproduce this.

L

• c_shekhar
      c_shekhar
      2006-11-04

Yes it is typological mistake. Actual command line is
      upx -9 --strip-relocs=0 --compress-icons=0
      Ihave also tried with many permutations and combination even with your new version 2.90 (upx290w)but no success. The ppt.exe is available here--> ftp://xda:xda@ftp.xda-developers.com/Uploads/Himalaya/C_Shekhar_HIMA_AKU3.2_R40_P24/ppt.exe_Uncompressed.rar

You can download and give a try yourself. Thanks a lot for looking into my observations....

• I've downloaded this file, but unfortunately it does not work on my wince 2003. The file explorer does not show an icon even for the uncompressed ppt.exe. It will be tricky to fix....

L

• c_shekhar
      c_shekhar
      2006-11-06

It is a WM2005 file and shall work on WM2005 only and not on 2003. Try it on Wm2005 bro....looking forward for a feedback...

• Unfortunately I can only test on wince 2003. But you may want to give a try to:

upx -9 --strip-relocs=0 --compress-resources=0

L

• c_shekhar
      c_shekhar
      2006-11-09

I have tried following:-
      1. upx -9 --strip-relocs=0 --compress-resources=0 ppt.exe
      2. upx -9 --strip-relocs=0 --compress-resources=0 --compress-icons=0 ppt.exe

in both cases the compressed ppt.exe though works fine but the icon is missing. Please give it a solution somhow.....
      You can use WM2005 device emulator on your PC if you dont have any WM5 device....Kindly try solution....

• tjlabais
        tjlabais
        2006-11-13

I have discovered that if I reduced the compress ratio the icons would not disappear.

If you UPX Pocket Excel file pxl.exe using the following:
        upx -9 --strip-relocs=0 --compress-icons=0 pxl.exe
        The program works fine, BUT icons will not show.

upx -7 --strip-relocs=0 --compress-icons=0 pxl.exe
        The program works fine, and icons will show.

Hope this will give you an idea where to look at the problem.

For your reference:
        PC OS: Windows XP Home Edition SP2
        PPC OS: Windows Mobile 5
        UPX Version: 2.03

• Too bad that the emulator is windows only, and it can not run on my linux. :-/ Currently I have no idea why this happens and how to debug it.

L

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)