• Casey
    Casey
    2009-12-14

Welcome to Open Discussion

• Chris K
    Chris K
    2010-04-09

Another test scan

My hand holding a small statue of Socrates.
    Distance from camera 0.5 meters.High resolution scan.(logitech 1600x1200)

Chris

• ekoehler
    ekoehler
    2010-04-09

Hi Chris,

Great work!

• creaturemaker
    creaturemaker
    2010-04-09

Chris,

That looks great! It seems like you got a handle on the logitech. How long did that scan take?

Aligning issues:
    I got it to work., through shear strength and grit. Most of the problems I was receiving were do to the overlapping data. This was an incredibly complex scan (creature sculpture) with about 40 views. So I had to go and align the mesh and, once aligned, erase most of the overlapping data. That helped a bit. However, when using poisson reconstruction it does some smoothing which was taking this incredibly great scan and making it just good scan. Geomagic does the same, but you have the option not to perform smoothing. At that point it converts the overlaps into some "noisy" areas. I want a solid stl file in order to 3d print it. Poisson is the best for that but …

I had 30 hrs of clean up on the mesh. I will still try to post the meshes from my other scupt with far less detail..(that one I can disclose) The other one is secret… Don't you love the movie business? ;-)

• ekoehler
    ekoehler
    2010-04-10

Hi CreatureMaker,

I use a Logitech 9000 right now at high res. I just thought that I could put my digital camera to work instead of buying a $800.00 + camera. That and was thinking maybe better resolution, I still have not crunched the numbers to know for sure. Thanks for looking out for me.

Thanks
    Eric

• Chris K
    Chris K
    2010-04-10

Hi to all ,

Thanks Eric.

Lino the scan took  1 minute and 30 seconds (pretty high pattern settings)You could see my veins and some skin pores .
    Did you use meshlab for poisson reconstruction ?
    If yes try another approach using the method i describe at the site:
    http://www.engr.uky.edu/~lgh/soft/softhowto3d_Mat5Meshlab.htm
    For better results use this formula -> PoissonRecon32 -in filename.npts -out fileout.ply  -depth 12 .
    It makes some time but gives better results than meshlab.(you could try also the 64 bit version)

Cheers

Chris.

• Chris K
    Chris K
    2010-04-12

Some statistics :
    Scanning time and cleaning noise 1 hour (16 scans)
    Aligning scans 40 minutes
    Import  export to npts file 1 hour 10 minutes
    Poisson reconstruction 55 minutes
    Final mesh 5.508.672 polygons .Reduced to 705.000 polygons for rendering purposes.

Chris.

• Hi guys. Looks like you all have been busy.
    I put some stuff on our Spain trip in "New Stuff" at my website.

I should be checking in more often and no deadlines as hard as the Spain ones are in the near future. I would like to set up a page of examples for Lino and gwrx.

Lino, I have the gun scan stuff. Lino Gwrx, please send me some mat5s of somethings that could be posted.

I will try to look through your discussions.
    Larry

• Chris K
    Chris K
    2010-04-16

Welcome back to the team ,
    How was the trip to Spain ?
    I believe you had a great presentation.

Cheers

Chris

PS:If you don't mind ,i want to see some examples.

• creaturemaker
    creaturemaker
    2010-04-16

welcome back! the stuff looks great. I love the article about honduras. The presentation seemed like a success! You also look quite fetching in rubber suits ;-)

• creaturemaker
    creaturemaker
    2010-04-16

Chris, That scan looks great…Is that with the logitech?

• Chris,
    Spain was a lot of fun. We really enjoyed the adventure.
    How do you view the png images you are attaching? I try "show picture" after I right click but it doesn't work?
    Larry

• creaturemaker
    creaturemaker
    2010-04-16

They have to be hosted somewhere like photobucket or your personal website and then you push the last button on the reply menu that says "add image". It will ask you for the linking address.

• Chris K
    Chris K
    2010-04-16

Hi Lino , nice suit professor Larry ,
    Yes ,all the scans was made with the logitech.

Chris.

• creaturemaker
    creaturemaker
    2010-04-16

Chris! those are awesome! i haven't forgotten those views.. i am just trying to get a ton of stuff done. I apologize for the delay.

Lino

• Chris K
    Chris K
    2010-04-16

Lino , please take your time .Works first.
    I just want to see more examples from professor Larry ,Vaughan and you because you have good cams.

Chris.

• I can access the link but still can't view the image001.jpg?? Any suggestions?

• I figured it out and Chris K's statue scan is really amazing!

• creaturemaker
    creaturemaker
    2010-04-16

and, to celebrate we all get some wine! Hooray!

• ekoehler
    ekoehler
    2010-04-17

Hello everyone,

Welcome back professor. Sorry to hear about not being able to take scans at the end. Can any one tell me if I can use a Logitech C905 webcam? Please say yes that it works off the WDM driver, I take that back the truth would be better. I just wrecked my cam during a modification. I read some old post today since I was not scanning and read about a Canon camera scanner. Will the Canon scanner be available to us soon. That would save me some money (I have a Canon) and calm my nerves after my accident today. Thanks for the help guys. I have some scans from a couple of days ago so I'll dig them out and post for you guys. I think everyone will like them.

Thanks
    Eric

• Chris K
    Chris K
    2010-04-17

Sorry to hear about that Eric (wrecked cam).
    I'm also interested about the canon ''stuff'.I can borrow one from my cousin for testing and eventually if i can get better and faster scans than my logitech maybe i will buy one.At the moment i can't verify that the uEye or blueFox is better because i want to see more high detailed examples from these cams(plus scanning times).An issue is also the price ,especially for the blueFox.
    And i will tell it again that the logitech's resolution is superb.Only the fps is terrible and its almost useless for scanning humans.
    I was trying to convince my wife,the other day , to stay dead still for a scan for about 1minute and 30 secs and she refused.
    I don't know why!!!
    Maybe if i put  her in the refrigerator for a couple of hours i can resolve the waving issues(just kidding).

Chris.

• ekoehler
    ekoehler
    2010-04-17

HI,

Thanks Chris. I was putting a new lens on when it happened. By the way I gave my wife cough syrup before scanning her. That seems to be the best for getting her to stay still. I haven't tried it with kids yet. I think they have a law against it here in the states. I guess that makes two of us on a tight budget. Pretty please can we test Canon scanner professor? I know you just got back so take your time family comes first.

Thanks
    Eric

• Alexander
    Alexander
    2010-04-18

Hi all.
    I am the beginner in use Alpha Scanner.
    I try to scan with the standard settings of camera (in № 7) (  I don't do callibration of QuickCam Pro 9000 and use all settings scanner № 7 ), the result has awful! And still a question why the standard chamber (in № 7) is turned on -90 degrees?

Can somebody write the step-by-step instruction for calibration QuickCam Pro 9000?
    This instruction can help the beginners

• Chris K
    Chris K
    2010-04-18

Hi Alexander and welcome.
    I wrote a quick pdf for rookies and uploaded to professor Larry.
    Its a matter of time to host it on his site ,so you and every newcomer can read and begin to work with this amazing piece of software.
    In the meantime watch the tutorials for calibration  http://www.engr.uky.edu/~lgh/soft/softhowto3d.htm

Cheers.

Chris.

1 2 3 .. 13 > >> (Page 1 of 13)