Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Recursive GREP

Help
Gadrin
2005-09-08
2013-04-24
  • Gadrin
    Gadrin
    2005-09-08

can somebody show me how to compose the command line for a recursive grep?

I've done searches, but I noticed it's not finding all the files in the subdirs below the main one.

I saw numerous posts on numerous web pages so I don't feel so bad... :)

this finds the files in the top folder, but misses the many subfolders underneath...

grep -i -n -r -U -w "message" c:\test\*.wbt

• Dave Ewart
      Dave Ewart
      2005-09-08

> grep -i -n -r -U -w "message" c:\test\*.wbt

The above will only find subfolders, if the subfolders have names such as "subdir1.wbt", "subdir2.wbt", since you're asking for it to match files/dirs ending in 'wbt'.

Try just

grep -i -n -r -U -w "message" c:\test\*

which will return hits on files other than wbt, but will pick up the subdirectories.

• Rover
      Rover
      2007-05-30

Hi,

I am not sure this is correct. I have faced this problem before but resolved it using this:
         grep -R --include=*.wbt "message" *

This seems to recursive everything and the --include selects the file pattern matching its value.

However, when I try this with the grep in
      http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/grep.htm

it ignores the --include directive.

Rover

• Johan
      Johan
      2008-01-29

> grep -i -n -r -U -w "message" c:\test\*.wbt

I normally use
         grep -lir "message" *.*
      quite simply because using anything other than "*.*" as the last parameter produces the perplexing error message (when using *.sql):
         grep: *.sql: Invalid argument

That is, unless there aren't any sub folders to search... then it seems to work fine.

Additionally, it seems the --directory=ACTION (or -d=ACTION for that matter) switch doesn't work at all - I keep getting "grep: unknown directories method" no matter what I substitute for ACTION.

rover_007, are you sure you're using the version of grep that comes with UnxUtils?  Mine doesn't seem to have the -R or --include options, giving me error messages when I try to use them (it does have -r, which recurses...)