Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

UnxUtils and environment variables

Help
Johan
2007-05-22
2013-04-24
  • Johan
    Johan
    2007-05-22

Hi there

I'm writing a script to automate some repetitive tasks.  The problem is, that the script uses the "cd" command a number of times (this is required, because of the workings of the script).  Thus, when the script finishes, the command line is left in a different directory to the one from which it called the script.

The obvious solution is to store the working directory in a variable when the script starts, and then "cd" to that directory at the end of the script.  However, I cannot seem to find a way to store the output of "pwd" in a variable.  Can anyone help me?  I am using Windows XP Pro with service pack 2.

Thanks
    Johan

• Johan

Without having tried it, the unix way to do this is:

$ set variable = ´command-to-execute´
          $ export variable

note the forward acute ´ enclosing the command - this takes the return value of the command and assigns it to the variable.

The export statement makes the variable permanent/global; if you omit it, you can use it in your own script only.

P.

• Johan
        Johan
        2007-05-24

Peter

You mean the character that shares a key with the tilde (~) on my keyboard? I.e. ASCII character decimal 96?

Thanks, but Windows doesn't seem to like that.  Saying
          C:\>set start_dir=`pwd`

gets interpreted literally, so that I can subsequently do:
          C:\>set | grep start_dir
          start_dir=`pwd`

It seems that the backtick isn't a special character in Windows.

Actually, it seems that using ' (ASCII decimal 39), doesn't work either.

Apart from that, your idea is exactly what I'm looking for.

Johan

• ;-)

Johan

Use the sh.exe as your shell that is delivered with the unxutils under the unxutils/bin directory. You'll see how things work...

P.

• To be a bit more precise:

sh.exe actually starts the zsh included with the unxutils in the usr/local/wbin directory.

For your question above, go to the unxutils\bin directory (Windows path convention) and use the following little script:

sh
        start_dir=`pwd`
        echo 'variable start_dir='$start_dir
        cd Desktop
        cd ../WINDOWS/system
        cd $start_dir

Hope that helps.
      P.

• Johan
        Johan
        2007-05-25

Peter

Thanks a million, I guess I should have expected a *nix shell in there. 

I'm sure this will work.

Thanks again!
        Johan